Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

welp_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Hi all, thinking a used MacBook Pro M1 Pro machine is the best next move for my needs. The amount of power cores and form factor suit my use cases best. Got one locally for ~$1k, 100 battery cycles, seems to be in great condition. Willing to take the no AppleCare risk. Any advice here?

Cursory glance from me, I see some intermittent thermal issues with this device people are reporting? Kind of spooking me and I want to be a bit cautious. I'm coming from a 2019 MBP that was/is absolute misery with thermals, so definitely trying to avoid that. Any persistent gremlins with this model that I don't know about?

Thanks for any helpful info!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd be looking for an m2pro. Do they have Apple online refurbished where you are?

Having said that, I have a 2021 MBP 14" (m1pro), it's still doing just fine in 2024.

welp_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
I'd be looking for an m2pro. Do they have Apple online refurbished where you are?

Having said that, I have a 2021 MBP 14" (m1pro), it's still doing just fine in 2024.
Unfortunately no M1 Pro MBP options left on Apple Refurb USA. Much prefer and want the M1 Pro over the M2 Pro given the performance core difference.

Glad to hear your machine is doing great though!

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Cursory glance from me, I see some intermittent thermal issues with this device people are reporting? Kind of spooking me and I want to be a bit cautious. I'm coming from a 2019 MBP that was/is absolute misery with thermals, so definitely trying to avoid that.
🤔
One thing I use my 16-inch M1 Pro for is app development, which creates a nearly constant workload when utilizing Xcode's live preview function. During those sessions, the bottom and keyboard become (lightly) warm.

As another check, I ran Cinebench 2024, all three tests back-to-back while the MBP was on battery power. For this task, I would describe the temp as very warm, nothing I would say is hot. There was also no audible fan activity. The single run results were: ~3% below the comparative M1 Max score on single thread rendering, <2% below on multithread, and the GPU rendering score was within margin of error in comparison.

Ultimately, I say no thermal problem.

Any persistent gremlins with this model that I don't know about?
None that I have noticed.

welp_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
🤔
One thing I use my 16-inch M1 Pro for is app development, which creates a nearly constant workload when utilizing Xcode's live preview function. During those sessions, the bottom and keyboard become (lightly) warm.

As another check, I ran Cinebench 2024, all three tests back-to-back while the MBP was on battery power. For this task, I would describe the temp as very warm, nothing I would say is hot. There was also no audible fan activity. The single run results were: ~3% below the comparative M1 Max score on single thread rendering, <2% below on multithread, and the GPU rendering score was within margin of error in comparison.

Ultimately, I say no thermal problem.

None that I have noticed.
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough feedback. Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.