Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.PeanutButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Hey there. I’m just curious on my configuration, as this is the first time upgrading to a new iMac from my 2009 (long time coming). I'll mostly be using this for editing software - Premiere Pro and After Effects, with 2D animation on the side. Any insight on if it’s a good customization or not would be great!

- 27-inch Retina 5K Display

- 3.6Ghz 10-core Intel Core i9

- 32GB of RAM

- 2TB SSD

- Radeon Pro 5500xt with 8GB of GDD3 memory (biggest question is if it’s worth it to spend the $400+ more to go to the 5700xt with 16GB of memory)

Thanks so much for the help!

Reactions: Wesmosis

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
For those trying to decide an iMac configuration, I always point to this video from MaxTech. I think they do a pretty good job analyzing the benefits of various options with actual performance data, not just subjective opinions. There are several other recent iMac videos on their youtube site which are useful.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Also, suggest do not order the 32 GB Apple RAM. There is nothing special about the apple RAM, other than it is overpriced. Apple RAM is variously supplied by Crucial (Micron), Samsung, or Hynix.

Order the minimum (8GB) of Apple RAM, and replace it with third party.
I found this worked well:
or this for 64GB: (or two of the above kit)

Crucial RAM has the best reputation, but is currently a bit pricey:

A small percentage of people have had issues with OWC RAM in the 2020 iMac, despite OWC's usual good reputation.

Do not mix different size sticks of RAM. It is a long story why not, but the 2020 iMac does not like mixed sizes.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey there. I’m just curious on my configuration, as this is the first time upgrading to a new iMac from my 2009 (long time coming). I'll mostly be using this for editing software - Premiere Pro and After Effects, with 2D animation on the side. Any insight on if it’s a good customization or not would be great!

- 27-inch Retina 5K Display

- 3.6Ghz 10-core Intel Core i9

- 32GB of RAM

- 2TB SSD

- Radeon Pro 5500xt with 8GB of GDD3 memory (biggest question is if it’s worth it to spend the $400+ more to go to the 5700xt with 16GB of memory)

Thanks so much for the help!

You'll get more out of the 5700XT than the 10 core CPU. So I would drop the memory down to 8 as per the post above me, drop the CPU down to 8 cores and bump the GPU to 5700XT. - I say I would do that as if it is theoretical; I did do that, haha :p.
My config is 5700XT, 32GB of memory (not from Apple) and 8 core GPU and it is absolutely fantastic and cuts through everything like butter

Mr.PeanutButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
You'll get more out of the 5700XT than the 10 core CPU. So I would drop the memory down to 8 as per the post above me, drop the CPU down to 8 cores and bump the GPU to 5700XT. - I say I would do that as if it is theoretical; I did do that, haha :p.
My config is 5700XT, 32GB of memory (not from Apple) and 8 core GPU and it is absolutely fantastic and cuts through everything like butter
Hey, thanks for getting back to me! Here's the dilemma I'm in on picking between two different iMacs, and which is the better decision.

The one I listed above is refurbished from the Apple store. Again, it comes with:
- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.6Ghz 10-core i9
- 8GB of RAM (ordered 2x16GB from OWC to install)
- 2TB SSD
- Radeon Pro 5500xt with 8GB memory
In total this costs about $4000 CAD ($3800 iMac + $200 RAM)

I guess for the configuration you mentioned, I could build something like this from Apple:
- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.8Ghz 8-core i7
- 8GB of RAM, install more later
- 1TB SSD
- Radeon Pro 5700xt with 16GB memory
- Include the 10-gigabit Ethernet?
In total this would cost about the same at $4000 CAD ($3800 iMac + $200 RAM)

Again, these costs about the same, my question is which configuration should I go with, or will there be a noticeable difference on my end?

Mr.PeanutButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
For those trying to decide an iMac configuration, I always point to this video from MaxTech. I think they do a pretty good job analyzing the benefits of various options with actual performance data, not just subjective opinions. There are several other recent iMac videos on their youtube site which are useful.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me! I posted this comment on another reply, but would also like to get your opinion! I also checked out that video, some very good pointers for sure.

Here's the dilemma I'm in on picking between two different iMacs, and which is the better decision.

The one I listed above is refurbished from the Apple store. Again, it comes with:
- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.6Ghz 10-core i9
- 2TB SSD

I guess for the configuration you mentioned, I could build something like this from Apple:
- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.8Ghz 8-core i7
- 1TB SSD

Again, these costs about the same, my question is which configuration should I go with, or will there be a noticeable difference on my end?

Reactions: wilberforce

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey, thanks for getting back to me! Here's the dilemma I'm in on picking between two different iMacs, and which is the better decision.

- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.6Ghz 10-core i9
- 2TB SSD

- 27-inch 5K Display
- 3.8Ghz 8-core i7
- 1TB SSD

I'd go for the latter, assuming that you're fine with the 1TB SSD.

Whether 10G ethernet at all matters to you I would have no clue about. If you need 10G, take it, if not it gives you no benefit.

The only real downside I see to config 2 is the smaller SSD; But if you either don't exceed 1TB or if you're OK using external drives down the road (Thunderbolt for example allowing very fast external drives) then that's not a major concern.

The 5700XT offers a substantial improvement over the 5500, whereas the i7 vs. i9 is a much less significant difference in most circumstances.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I agree with @casperes1996
It somewhat depends on how intensive your video editing/graphics/gaming needs are, versus your desire for a larger internal SSD.
5700XT is definitely a step up from the 5500XT, but the 5500XT is no slouch (I have the 5500XT).
I filled up my 1TB SSD on my last iMac, so opted for 2TB this time around. But storage can always be added with a fast external SSD, so not a big deal. (btw, 90% full is effectively FULL. The way SSDs work is that they really slow down if more than 90% full)

Neither are bad choices.

Reactions: casperes1996

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless I was gonna use it to produce income, I wouldn't spend almost $4k on ANY new Mac.
Not one in their entire product lineup.
But I guess that's just me...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Unless I was gonna use it to produce income, I wouldn't spend almost $4k on ANY new Mac.
Not one in their entire product lineup.
But I guess that's just me...

A very understandable take on the situation, and you often get more from spending lesss money more frequently on computers than a lot at once as well.
But there are many things to consider; For one thing "is it your profession", like you say - does the computer help you bring in income.
Also just the level of hobbyist involved. In my case computing is simultaneously my greatest hobby and my day-to-day work. Almost everything I do, I do on my computer, and so I have no hesitation spending all my disposable cash on a high end Mac. It's where I code, make music, edit videos, play games - it's where I do everything essentially from work to fun. I will never own a car, instead I'll own Macs that cost the same as cars :p

Mr.PeanutButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
A very understandable take on the situation, and you often get more from spending lesss money more frequently on computers than a lot at once as well.
But there are many things to consider; For one thing "is it your profession", like you say - does the computer help you bring in income.
Also just the level of hobbyist involved. In my case computing is simultaneously my greatest hobby and my day-to-day work. Almost everything I do, I do on my computer, and so I have no hesitation spending all my disposable cash on a high end Mac. It's where I code, make music, edit videos, play games - it's where I do everything essentially from work to fun. I will never own a car, instead I'll own Macs that cost the same as cars :p
Well said man! This computer will last me 5-7 year for sure, so I don't mind spending more on something like this. It's used for my profession, brings me income, as well as hobby interests with everyday use!

Still deciding on either the i7 or i9 though haha. Might be leaning more towards that i7 8-core with beefed up 5700xt graphics card.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
I'd wait a little more to see what the new Apple Silicon iMacs are going to be. There are two possibilities, 1: The AS iMacs will suit your needs better for the same price. It's possible since you also use Final Cut which is/will be very well optimised, Adobe is in the process of optimising for Apple Silicon. 2: They don't suit your needs and the prices of current iMacs will drop. There have been so many rumors lately, I think we will know more in two months.

jon-prosser-imac-2021colors.jpg

Edit: link to the latest iMac rumors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.