Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacecoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
I’ve been an iMac user for at least 10+ years but am pretty much lost when it comes to processor / graphics specs ?.

I’m replacing my late 2015 iMac 21.5” with a iMac 27” 5K 2020 model. My old mac ran Blender fine, it only crashed once and because of a plugged in accessory.

I’ve been eyeing the mid-range 27” model, but will it run Blender? I can’t seem to find a straight answer other than ‘get a PC’.

Can anyone give advice, please?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I think your answers may be found at the Blender website: Blender Requirements. That page shows minimal, normal, and optimal requirements for basic Blender functionality. There is also a link discussing requirements for more advanced Blender functions.

In short, it appears that as long as you have macOS v10.13 or newer, and you will with a 2020 iMac, you’ll be fine. For best performance, get the best graphics option with the most graphics RAM. No matter what you do, you should see far better performance on a 2020 iMac than one 5 years older.

spacecoyote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
I think your answers may be found at the Blender website: Blender Requirements. That page shows minimal, normal, and optimal requirements for basic Blender functionality. There is also a link discussing requirements for more advanced Blender functions.

In short, it appears that as long as you have macOS v10.13 or newer, and you will with a 2020 iMac, you’ll be fine. For best performance, get the best graphics option with the most graphics RAM. No matter what you do, you should see far better performance on a 2020 iMac than one 5 years older.

I can’t afford any higher than the mid-range 27”, so the graphics ram will only be 8gb. I’ve seen the official Blender req page, but thanks for the link !

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Just another thought here: maybe instead of a 2020 iMac, how about a fully tricked out 2019 refurbishment? Lots more computer for less cost and you might be able to get that upgraded graphics and graphics memory. In any case, good luck with your acquisition.

LeeE

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
I can’t afford any higher than the mid-range 27”, so the graphics ram will only be 8gb. I’ve seen the official Blender req page, but thanks for the link !
Hello - I'm in a similar boat but replacing 2015 MacBook Pro, I'm an after effects user predominantly but also 3D modeller/animator (C4D) and getting into Blender.. just wondered if you went for the 2020 iMac and if so is it working out for you? :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I’ve been an iMac user for at least 10+ years but am pretty much lost when it comes to processor / graphics specs ?.

I’m replacing my late 2015 iMac 21.5” with a iMac 27” 5K 2020 model. My old mac ran Blender fine, it only crashed once and because of a plugged in accessory.

I’ve been eyeing the mid-range 27” model, but will it run Blender? I can’t seem to find a straight answer other than ‘get a PC’.

Can anyone give advice, please?

I know this thread is old but it'll run Blender absolutely fine. Blender runs on some seriously old hardware. The "get a PC" crowd doesn't know enough to make an informed decision, hence their "get a PC" attitude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.