Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2022
So, long story short.
I will be in the US on a layover on September 4th for 12 hours. I really need to upgrade my phone and was also planning to get an Apple Watch.
My current phone is a Samsung A5.. very old, almost doesn't work. In my mind my idea was to get the iPhone 13 Pro Max... but I realized that my trip coincides with the launch of the new iPhone.

My options are:
- Don't buy anything and keep the one I have until I can travel again to the US
- Buy knowing that I am spending the same as what the latest version will cost
- Buy a temporary not very expensive option

What would you do? is buying the iPhone 13 really a bad option?
Same question goes with the Apple Watch 7.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
How often do you travel?

And if it were me, I’d update. Especially if yours seems to be on its last leg. You’ll get plenty of use out of both for a while. Then maybe next time you’re ready to update you’ll be traveling on release, not right before. 😁

Not sure what your carrier is, but a lot of carriers offer pretty good deals close to a new launch too.

yakito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2022
How often do you travel?

And if it were me, I’d update. Especially if yours seems to be on its last leg. You’ll get plenty of use out of both for a while. Then maybe next time you’re ready to update you’ll be traveling on release, not right before. 😁

Not sure what your carrier is, but a lot of carriers offer pretty good deals close to a new launch too.
Thanks!
I am not sure when I will be back in the US or Europe, here where I live you can't get the iPhone from carriers. I can get it online from third parties but usually the price is ridiculous.

Reactions: 1557750

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
Thanks!
I am not sure when I will be back in the US or Europe, here where I live you can't get the iPhone from carriers. I can get it online from third parties but usually the price is ridiculous.
Definitely pick it up from an actual Apple Store. I wouldn’t risk 3rd party if you can get it from the source. Plus you can get hands on with sizes.

Good luck 👊😃👍

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So, long story short.
I will be in the US on a layover on September 4th for 12 hours. I really need to upgrade my phone and was also planning to get an Apple Watch.
My current phone is a Samsung A5.. very old, almost doesn't work. In my mind my idea was to get the iPhone 13 Pro Max... but I realized that my trip coincides with the launch of the new iPhone.

My options are:
- Don't buy anything and keep the one I have until I can travel again to the US
- Buy knowing that I am spending the same as what the latest version will cost
- Buy a temporary not very expensive option

What would you do? is buying the iPhone 13 really a bad option?
Same question goes with the Apple Watch 7.

Any advice will be appreciated!
How do you figure you'll be in the US when it launches or not? We have no idea when it'll actually be released, just educated guesses. As per if the 13 is good or not, that's up to you and the value you place on potential new tech.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The 14 likely won't ship until the end of the month. We are only guessing about what its specifications will be. Assuming none of those assumptions is a deal breaker for you I'd just get the 13 and Series 7. Check your local marketplaces to see what the resale value would be if you change your mind later.

With just a 12 hour layover be aware of the possibility that the models you want might not be in stock with the new models just a few days away. I'd see if there was a way to order them for pickup in the store to get what you want.

Reactions: max2 and yakito

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
The 13 Pro Max is amazing. Go and buy it. I can’t imagine the 14 will be much better. I’ve upgraded every year but one since 2008 and I’m not gonna upgrade this year.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I switched to Verizon with an iPhone 6 two weeks before the the 6s was announced (while knowing). It was a needed move and I was very happy with it/ technology has just come even farther and the upgrades are even smaller than what they used to be. I think a 13 sounds like a big jump you’d be happy with.

Only thing that seems tantalizing is no notch, however on the 13 pro max the notch is now so small compared to the screen it really doesn’t matter.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
You’re 3 weeks away and need to realize that 12 hour layovers can turn in to a 30 minute one that has you running between gates or a day or more layover stuck in an airport. It happens.

Reactions: arkitect

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
How do you figure you'll be in the US when it launches or not? We have no idea when it'll actually be released, just educated guesses. As per if the 13 is good or not, that's up to you and the value you place on potential new tech.
Many people in this rumor-mill forum seem to take the rumors as truth. Kuo or Gurman guess, and people immediately assume those guesses are fact. Really sad, and stupid. I see them get all depressed over some outlandish rumor all the time.

As far the OP, I doubt we will see the iPhone 14 released in early September. The iPhone 12 was released on 23 Oct 2020 and the iPhone 13 was released on 24 Sep 2021. There might even be a delay this year.

Reactions: yakito

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Many people in this rumor-mill forum seem to take the rumors as truth. Kuo or Gurman guess, and people immediately assume those guesses are fact. Really sad, and stupid. I see them get all depressed over some outlandish rumor all the time.

As far the OP, I doubt we will see the iPhone 14 released in early September. The iPhone 12 was released on 23 Oct 2020 and the iPhone 13 was released on 24 Sep 2021. There might even be a delay this year.
Agreed, best thing for OP is to simply assume the iPhone will be release mid Oct.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Whether you upgrade 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months, the 13 max will be brand new. iPhones are getting to the point of diminishing returns on differences. Besides the pleasure you may get from getting the latest and greatest, I doubt you really notice the difference, you will be so far ahead of your current phone. Get it while you can and enjoy the iPhone and Watch now before your current phone fails.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Many people in this rumor-mill forum seem to take the rumors as truth. Kuo or Gurman guess, and people immediately assume those guesses are fact.

Certainly you have to take their accuracy rates into account (86.5% for Gurman, 72.5% for Kuo).

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Normally I couldn't stomach paying full price for tech when the newer version is right around the corner.... but given your situation you will have to bite the bullet and go with the 13 PM... Which is a wonderful phone by all means... You have to ask yourself if you are the type that gets buyers remorse? you're going to see a bunch of posts here of people drooling over their new iPhone 14s in the next couple of weeks... Will that affect you?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well, I would just get the iPhone 13 Pro Max, you know it’s stable and there are really no true issues. You do not know this when it comes to the iPhone 14 series. For the 14 Pro models, you will no longer have a notch but that is no justification for buying a new iPhone.

With Apple’s premium services that most of us pay for on this forum, I say get your iPhone and get as much value from it until it slows down.

Just know, almost every person has the same iPhone experience while there camera hardware may be hit or miss so getting the iPhone 13 Pro or Pro Max is still a win plus you are saving money during a inflation which can only benefit you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.