Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Anyone have a recommendation on a good place (or places) to buy photo frames for prints? I'm looking for what are considered custom sizes - 6"x9" and 8"x12", since that's the aspect ratio of most of my photos.

We've recently printed some of my photos, and are giving them as gifts - but our local craftsy place (Michael's) wants horrible prices for framing because of the custom dimensions.

Cropping to a different aspect ratio isn't really an option, since I framed the photos (in the viewfinder) pretty much the way I want them.

Thanks!

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Instead of cropping the photo, you could always just have a custom matte cut for it. I had that done a while back at the local arts and crafts store for about $15.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Instead of cropping the photo, you could always just have a custom matte cut for it. I had that done a while back at the local arts and crafts store for about $15.

You can also do this at home–the supplies aren't that expensive if you're doing more than 20 photos.

I think this is your best bet, because it allows you to stay in the common frame sizes.

Also, frames a personal decision that need to match the decor of their locale–you may want to just give your photos mat only.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
American Frame. Hands down they're my place to get all my framing supplies.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Places like Michael's have systems where you purchase the pieces separately -- that is to say, you buy a package that has two 8" pieces, and another package that has 11" pieces. Then you put them together to make your frame. Have you looked into that? Would that help you out?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Places like Michael's have systems where you purchase the pieces separately -- that is to say, you buy a package that has two 8" pieces, and another package that has 11" pieces. Then you put them together to make your frame. Have you looked into that? Would that help you out?

1) Agree with point re mats. I framed a bunch of photos without mats and they got all wrinkly because there's no gap between photo and glass. You need that gap.

2) Try Light Impressions. Like michaels, you can order mats in custom cutouts and also frames where you buy two short sides adn two long sides of any length. The selection is better than Michaels, which generally has only metal frames in chrome, black, and brass. Light Impressions has a variety of wood frame styles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.