Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hello everyone! As the title says, I am contemplating between a maxed out MacBook Air m2 vs a MacBook Pro m1 Max 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 32gb and 1tb ssd storage. So here are my questions:

1. I was wondering if it’s still worth it to buy the MacBook Pro m1 Max right now since it was released a while ago and m2 might be around the corner?

2. Would the MacBook Pro m1 Max still be more powerful than the MacBook Air M2?

3. Is the configuration of the MacBook Pro m1 max that I’m choosing okay? or should I opt for a 2TB ssd instead of 1tb because of the cpu and gpu configuration?

4. can I use either of them for gaming?

I am planning to keep it for couple of years this time but I want to make sure that what I’ll be purchasing is something that will be good enough for the next years even there’s newer version that comes out. That it wouldn’t start slowing down. Thank you so much for your input!!

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If the M2 MacBook Air would be adequate for your needs, why would you buy the M1 Max instead of the M1 Pro. The CPUs are the same between the M1 Pro and the M1 Max. You just get more GPU cores on the Max. Again, if a 10 core GPU on an M2 Air is adequate, why wouldn't a 14 or 16 core GPU on the M1 Pro be enough?

Both the M1 Pro and M1 Max will easily outperform the M2 on the MacBook Air. They have more CPU and GPU cores and much better cooling with fans. The M2 is the next entry level SoC but it doesn't replace the Pro or Max. Those will come later on the M2 generation.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
This is a good example of how the M# releases across consumer and pro machines can create confusion. People will assume the M2 outperforms M1 Pro or Max because it starts with a higher M#. I do not have a solution for it but can see why some find this confusing.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
If you care more about the laptop being thin, light and fan-less go for the Air, if you care more about performance, ports, and a better screen, go for the Pro.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
I seem to recall the M1 Max being somewhat thermally constrained and battery heavy when in the 14" macBook Pro.
For best result you'd probably have to step up to the 16", which adds quite a bit to the cost.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
If the M2 MacBook Air would be adequate for your needs, why would you buy the M1 Max instead of the M1 Pro. The CPUs are the same between the M1 Pro and the M1 Max. You just get more GPU cores on the Max. Again, if a 10 core GPU on an M2 Air is adequate, why wouldn't a 14 or 16 core GPU on the M1 Pro be enough?

Both the M1 Pro and M1 Max will easily outperform the M2 on the MacBook Air. They have more CPU and GPU cores and much better cooling with fans. The M2 is the next entry level SoC but it doesn't replace the Pro or Max. Those will come later on the M2 generation.
I don’t know if MacBook Air M2 would be adequate for my needs. I never had a MacBook Air or have read about it or watched anything about it but just figured that the higher configuration it is, the better. Lol

Also, I’ve read that the only difference between the m1 pro and the max is that the max is more powerful and have better performance but I have never watched any reviews about it or bench mark. Any known issues with the m1 max that I should be aware of? Totally new about this new apple silicon thing.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
This is a good example of how the M# releases across consumer and pro machines can create confusion. People will assume the M2 outperforms M1 Pro or Max because it starts with a higher M#. I do not have a solution for it but can see why some find this confusing.
Yes! I am one of those people and it is confusing. Lol I guess the m1 max is still a better choice and more powerful than the m2 despite of it being the newer released one? Would the m1 max be a good laptop to keep for the next years and wouldn’t slow down even apple release a newer version?

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
If you care more about the laptop being thin, light and fan-less go for the Air, if you care more about performance, ports, and a better screen, go for the Pro.
I’m not really traveling often so I don’t care about the weight. I just want to make sure that what I’ll be getting can last me for years without slowing down in the future just because apple release a newer version and that it is powerful enough for my needs. Like gaming, web, watching, video editing. I don’t want the 16 inch though!

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I seem to recall the M1 Max being somewhat thermally constrained and battery heavy when in the 14" macBook Pro.
For best result you'd probably have to step up to the 16", which adds quite a bit to the cost.
Oh no! is that so? :/ Would you mind sharing me where you found this information? How about the m1 Pro? Is the m1 pro better than the m1 max thermally wise??

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Yes! I am one of those people and it is confusing. Lol I guess the m1 max is still a better choice and more powerful than the m2 despite of it being the newer released one? Would the m1 max be a good laptop to keep for the next years and wouldn’t slow down even apple release a newer version?
Even the M1 Pro will be more powerful than the M2. The numbers M# mean nothing

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Oh no! is that so? :/ Would you mind sharing me where you found this information? How about the m1 Pro? Is the m1 pro better than the m1 max thermally wise??

From this Max Tech test - now that's on for the 32 GPU versions:

But, this is where re-checking memory comes in, the 24 core GPU M1 max in the 14" looks pretty much like the sweet spot:

Battery is still behing hammered on the 14" by the M1 Max but that's just the nature of the laws of the universe 😂

One the M1 Pro in a 14" chassis, well Max tech has us covered again:

This IMHO is where the 14" is best - with a M1 Pro: silent, cool, long battery life and good performance vs price. To hammer that home one final piece of input from our friends at MT. This time M2 (in a macBook pro) vs the M1 Pro 14" (EXSUM: the 14" slays in almost every comparison even accounting for the nerfed 256 GB in the M2 Pro):

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
That's it's our job to inform posters of such erroneous thought process.

• Haha
Reactions: applesith

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hello everyone! As the title says, I am contemplating between a maxed out MacBook Air m2 vs a MacBook Pro m1 Max 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 32gb and 1tb ssd storage. So here are my questions:

1. I was wondering if it’s still worth it to buy the MacBook Pro m1 Max right now since it was released a while ago and m2 might be around the corner?

2. Would the MacBook Pro m1 Max still be more powerful than the MacBook Air M2?

3. Is the configuration of the MacBook Pro m1 max that I’m choosing okay? or should I opt for a 2TB ssd instead of 1tb because of the cpu and gpu configuration?

4. can I use either of them for gaming?

I am planning to keep it for couple of years this time but I want to make sure that what I’ll be purchasing is something that will be good enough for the next years even there’s newer version that comes out. That it wouldn’t start slowing down. Thank you so much for your input!!
My advice for you is, if you can wait until November, then don't buy either right now. There are rumors about an October event about the updated MacBook Pros, iMac, Mac mini and new Mac Pro.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don’t know if MacBook Air M2 would be adequate for my needs. I never had a MacBook Air or have read about it or watched anything about it but just figured that the higher configuration it is, the better. Lol

Also, I’ve read that the only difference between the m1 pro and the max is that the max is more powerful and have better performance but I have never watched any reviews about it or bench mark. Any known issues with the m1 max that I should be aware of? Totally new about this new apple silicon thing.
The difference is how many GPU cores the M1 Pro has vs the M1 Max. If you aren't using the GPU much then there really is no point to getting M1 Max. If you are using a lot of GPU power then you definitely shouldn't get the M2. GPU is only really used heavily for games, graphics rendering (sometimes), and scientific computing. If you don't know if you need a lot of GPU speed then you probably don't.

The other difference between the Pro and the Max is that you can have more external displays with the Max. You can have 2 with the Pro and 3 with the Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.