Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Getting Rid of the D50 + all lenses, I'm thinking about starting over again, what should I get as a body. I don't mind switching from Nikon to Canon.

I mainly do street shooting and people shooting cityscape and landscape shooting.

I'm going to buy a prime lens, a long lens, and a landscape lens.
I'm considering the following (all used body only) D80 v. Rebel XSI v. 30D.

What do you guys think? Discuss.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
well, do you like the Nikon or Canon interface better? we can argue about D80 vs XSi, but 30D is on its own until you consider the D200 or something above D80/90.

as for what you actually asked, the Canons are superior. i think it's the D90 that's on the same level as the XSi..

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Okay color me confused...

Yesterday you were stating you had some lenses and were looking at replacing your broken D50, then suddenly today you have a D40 and want to get rid of it and your existing lenses? :confused:

It almost sounds like you are trying to add fuel to the fire here with all the debates going on about the merits of different bodies.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Okay color me confused...

Yesterday you were stating you had some lenses and were looking at replacing your broken D50, then suddenly today you have a D40 and want to get rid of it and your existing lenses? :confused:

It almost sounds like you are trying to add fuel to the fire here with all the debates going on about the merits of different bodies.

oops typo i mean broken d50 + l

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
well, do you like the Nikon or Canon interface better? we can argue about D80 vs XSi, but 30D is on its own until you consider the D200 or something above D80/90.

as for what you actually asked, the Canons are superior. i think it's the D90 that's on the same level as the XSi..

I smell BS from the OP.

I can't believe Jase didn't question the BS you just put out. The D90 is superior to the XSi (all of Canon's consumer bodies feel like they are made of cheap plastic also-just a minor complaint with their dslr's) and the old tech of the 30D (even the D200 which is on sale at Best Buy for $599 puts it to shame). There is no contest. Canon at one time was ahead in the ingenuity department, but now they are has beens for the most part. The 50D is a failure and the 40D is maybe (maybe) as good as the D90, but I even doubt that.

The D300 puts all of those to shame.

I like Canon point and shoots though. That is about what they are good for. Now the Canon fanboys will bash me, but it was a Canon fanboy who started it.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I smell BS from the OP.

I can't believe Jase didn't question the BS you just put out. The D90 is superior to the XSi (all of Canon's consumer bodies feel like they are made of cheap plastic also-just a minor complaint with their dslr's) and the old tech of the 30D (even the D200 which is on sale at Best Buy for $599 puts it to shame). There is no contest. Canon at one time was ahead in the ingenuity department, but now they are has beens for the most part. The 50D is a failure and the 40D is maybe (maybe) as good as the D90, but I even doubt that.

I like Canon point and shoots though. That is about what they are good for. Now the Canon fanboys will bash me, but it was a Canon fanboy who started it.

that's a pretty rough reply bro... if something is so self evidently true as you claim, why do you need to state it so forcefully?

p.s. i did sell my nikon gear and switch to canon, that's not bs, i can show you pictures of my 30d when i get it

Apr 10, 2007
I smell BS from the OP.

Woa, while I do agree that he is very wrong saying that the D90 and XSi are the same level Canon and Nikon cameras in the same price range are pretty much comparable in build quality and IQ.

If anything the D90 is somewhere between the 40D and 50D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.