Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
Alright I'm looking to make a purchase of my first camera for photography. I need a camera that is around a $500 price range though. I don't need anything ridiculous. Just a good first camera.

I'll use it to take live shots of bands and probably random pictures I think might look nice. The band shots are probably what I will take more of. So something that takes good pictures without a flash in low lighting maybe?

Anyway give me some advise!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Good pictures in low light without flash? You're looking at more than $500, or waiting several more years.

A D40/Rebel T1 with a fast lens could work, but it depends on the shooting conditions.

The Nikon D5000 seems to be getting good reviews, but I'm suspicious of anything that doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
if you want to take canon a shot

find a used Canon Rebel XTi off craigslist or ebay. and find some good glass. you got yourself a great setup. nothing can go wrong with an XTi

that should be in your price range.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
It's unusual for someone to be a shill for a camera they don't own, but don't forget about Pentax. The K20D is an outstanding camera, and Pentax is the only camera company besides Nikon that didn't change its mount with the advent of autofocus. Consequently, there's a mountain of glass out there to use, much of it relatively cheap.

Get a used D50 and used plain AF fast lens.

Also a good idea. I'd go with a D50 before a D40, and the D50 can autofocus with all Nikon lenses.

The XTi combined with Canon 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 is a good setup.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Those are not the lenses you need for concerts. They are "slow" (i.e. they take too little light in).

The body should cost around $250.

90 day warranty, E+ condition:
http://www.adorama.com/US 344936.html

Then you could get something like an old gen Sigma 28-70 AF f/2.8 for about $100.

That leaves you $100 for a Nikon AF-D 50mm f/1.8 when it's darker and you're a bit closer.

Maybe it would be better to get an older 80-200 f/2.8 AF, but that's out of your budget, although you might find a deal if you look at Tokina/Sigma/Tamron.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
I just got the Nikon D40 Kit from best buy today. I'm really excited about it being my first non point and shoot camera and I'm ready to learn all about it.

My reason for not going with everyone else's suggestions are that I have no idea what most of you are talking about.

If I can't take photos at live shows I'm fine. I don't really go to very many. I love taking outdoor photos of family and friends and just anything really.

Thanks for all the help guys!

:)

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I'm really considering the D40 as well with the 35mm 1.8

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i just picked up my XSi w/kit lens and an EF-S 55-250mm for $730 from amazon. You could sell the 55-250 (if you wanted) for $250. I don't know if the deal is still going on, but i found out about it from gizmodos' deal of the days.

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Alright I'm looking to make a purchase of my first camera for photography. I need a camera that is around a $500 price range though. I don't need anything ridiculous. Just a good first camera.

I'll use it to take live shots of bands and probably random pictures I think might look nice. The band shots are probably what I will take more of. So something that takes good pictures without a flash in low lighting maybe?

Anyway give me some advise!

High ISO. I shot concerts for 3yrs. Yes, a "fast" lens is important. But an ISO that is expandable to 6400 will make your life easier.

For about $700 you can get a new Canon X1i (body only) for another $100 you can get the EF–s 18-55 IS... an ok lens, just ok. With this Canon you get full HD video...a feature that may be invaluable at a concert.

If you want some more specific advise on shooting a show... hit me up.

http://Concert Photos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/aserumphotodesign/sets/72157606581193536/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.