Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Hi,

I moved to Europe a few months ago to study and I plan to buy the new MacBook pro, I know the prices are more expensive in Europe but when I checked the UK store for students for the current macbook pro, the prices are much cheaper than the NL store.

Now I am wondering if it's gonna be the same for the new MacBook pro and If it stays the same, is it the best way to purchase it to save money? If ye, do they ship to the Netherlands? I'd appreciate any help!

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Hi,

I moved to Europe a few months ago to study and I plan to buy the new MacBook pro, I know the prices are more expensive in Europe but when I checked the UK store for students for the current macbook, the prices are much cheaper than the NL store.

Now I am wondering if it's gonna be the same for the new MacBook pro and If it stays the same, is it the best way to purchase it to save money? If ye, do they ship to the Netherlands? I'd appreciate any help!

Depends if you're looking at the higher education store then you will be to login via Unidays to get it cheaper and you will have to ship to a UK address. Also, expect to see the refreshed MBP to have a price increase due to it being new and brexit.

Sammor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Depends if you're looking at the higher education store then you will be to login via Unidays to get it cheaper and you will have to ship to a UK address. Also, expect to see the refreshed MBP to have a price increase due to it being new and brexit.

What do you recommend to do in my case, I would like to save as much money as possible. If shipping costs are cheap I could ship it from UK to NL. Thanks :)

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
What do you recommend to do in my case, I would like to save as much money as possible. If shipping costs are cheap I could ship it from UK to NL. Thanks :)

I'd probably advise to get a ticket to US as UK prices is gonna inflate like crazy.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I would suggest that the price in Pounds Sterling will rise significantly thanks to Brexit.
If you want the absolute cheapest, then I'd suggest getting it in the USA, then buy the world travel kit for the power adapters heads so you can use it anywhere.

Sammor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
I would suggest that the price in Pounds Sterling will rise significantly thanks to Brexit.
If you want the absolute cheapest, then I'd suggest getting it in the USA, then buy the world travel kit for the power adapters heads so you can use it anywhere.

But I'll have to pay the 21% VAT on delivery and the shipping costs, ye?

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I don't know what kind of rip off you have to accept to ship it in, but you could just get on a plane and bring it back.
Have you forgotten about buying a ticket? Or is it really just possible to get on an aircraft unnoticed....

dave61

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Clogland
Hi,

I moved to Europe a few months ago to study and I plan to buy the new MacBook pro, I know the prices are more expensive in Europe but when I checked the UK store for students for the current macbook pro, the prices are much cheaper than the NL store.

I'm a Brit living in the Netherlands. In my experience, the UK and Dutch prices are similar. So, two thoughts:
1) are you comparing the UK student store with the Dutch one? or the Dutch consumer store? and 2) Apple UK has not yet changed its prices to reflect the recent fall in the value of Sterling. I expect that they will address that with the release of the new laptops.

I have never tried asking Apple to ship from the UK to NL; they might, but I suspect not. A minor consideration is that a UK sourced laptop will have a different plug.

IIRC you can only use the student store from the network of a qualifying institution, and they supply from that country, so if you are studying in NL you could not use the UK student store.

In short, I doubt that you will be able to get a better price for one of the new MBPs buying in the UK than NL.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
I think they have made it clear in the Q&A and terms that the online store of a particular country ships to that country only. The same applies to student offer eligibility too, I believe. If you want to buy in UK with educational offer, you have to be a registered student or academic staff in UK in case they'd like to verify you.

Reactions: dave61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.