Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I'm considering purchasing a used B+W circular polarizer from someone locally. It is described as "B+W 67 CIRCULAR-POL F-PRO" and the seller is unsure of whether it is MC or MRC as he no longer has the original box and it is not written on the filter itself. Here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between MC and MRC? Is there a way to determine which one this filter is based on what's written on the filter: "B+W 67 CIRCULAR-POL F-PRO"?

2. The asking price is CAD$75. Does this seem fair?

3. The filter is the non-thin version. Will I get any vignetting with my Tamron 17-50mm?

4 Anything else I should watch out for other than the obvious things like checking for scratches and such?

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
1. The difference between the coating is the ease of cleaning them, the MRC will clean, well cleaner, than the MC and I suggest is worth the money, I'm thinking that it is just MC though if the seller is unsure.

2. $75 seems fair, but for $20 more you can get a brand new one MRC Kaesemann filter from maxsaver.net, where I get my filters, great place for filters. The Kaesemann is just the top of the line, easiest to clean, best quality.

3. You will not get any vignetting, I had the 17-50 and worried about it, someone advised me that it would be no problem to get the standard and it was no problem at all, except for my fingers in the way sometimes as I rotated the filter.

4. Make sure that the filter is clean before buying it, look at it. I sold mine when I sold my 17-50mm and it was very hard to restore to pristine condition, took a lot of careful time to remove some (2) smudges from someone mishandling my filter once.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
2. $75 seems fair, but for $20 more you can get a brand new one MRC Kaesemann filter from maxsaver.net, where I get my filters, great place for filters. The Kaesemann is just the top of the line, easiest to clean, best quality.

I just took a look at the maxsaver.net website and their prices are pretty good. Have you (or anybody else) personally ordered from them before? Are they legit? They claim to ship from Hong Kong... any issues with customs/duty?

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them in the past, found them from some friends at the fredmiranda forum. They're legit, shipping time is a little while though, around 2 weeks but the price savings, in my opinion, are worth it unless you need the item immediately. This is their ebay feedback: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=besteastern&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:us&iid=290173660328
I've had no problems with my orders or with customs at all.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
For $20, are you really going to go used? Filters can last a lifetime when cared for properly. You going to pay to ship it back and ask for a refund if there is a scratch on it? Find a reputable place you trust, pay the extra few dollars and sleep better.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
For $20, are you really going to go used? Filters can last a lifetime when cared for properly. You going to pay to ship it back and ask for a refund if there is a scratch on it? Find a reputable place you trust, pay the extra few dollars and sleep better.

I agree, especially B+W, and if you get the kaesemann, taken care of that filter will last as long as yourself!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.