Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Where would I look to try and find the best deal on a Nikon D90. Ebay is out of the question. I would like to be able to see the number of shutter releases it has before buying it. I know that a D90 is what I want I am just looking for the right place to buy it. There aren't any close camera stores near me but I could get into Boston or New York in a few weeks. Does BH sell used cameras?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

ClamsJager

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
B&H does sell used gear, also look into Cameta camera they are in NY aswell. Try craigslist? I prefer to buy my cameras new, as you have no idea what the previous owner did to or had done to the camera before you.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Yep, B&H does sell used cameras and has a pretty decent rating system for used conditions. But, they don't tell you the shutter count. However, when I purchased my used D50 from B&H last year it looked brand new and had a shutter count of under 4000. I've been meaning to see what I've put on it up to now.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I'm getting ready to pick up a D90 myself. I would not buy a used camera unless you know the person selling it. I don't know if I would take those risks to save a few dollars.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You can check an image's exif info right here, and it will show the shutter count for Nikons, as long as the original exif info hasn't been stripped.

Just to be aware, the shutter count figure can possibly be inaccurate if the firmware has been upgraded... according to Nikon. But usually it will give you a fairly good idea. Overall condition of the camera would be more important in my opinion. Good luck.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
There are freeware programs that you can download that will show you the shutter counts on your camera. On Nikon I think it's http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

It's a Windows only program though.

You can check an image's exif info right here, and it will show the shutter count for Nikons, as long as the original exif info hasn't been stripped.

Just to be aware, the shutter count figure can possibly be inaccurate if the firmware has been upgraded... according to Nikon. But usually it will give you a fairly good idea. Overall condition of the camera would be more important in my opinion. Good luck.
Thanks to you both. I'm really curious to see what my D50 has on it since I just bought a new D90. Good luck to the rest!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.