Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Is there anyway to bypass the system from looking for a disc on startup? Hence, the SuperDrive looks for a disc, then gives the Apple chime and finally starts up. Typical PC's you can go into a BIOS and re-arrange startup order, but since Apple=EFI, no option. Google didn't help, so I thought I'd try here.

Any thoughts? I rather it be looking at the hard drive and not the optical drive at all, I usually hold option when I need to boot from a disc anyway.

Last edited:

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Is there anyway to bypass the system from looking for a disc on startup? Hence, the SuperDrive looks for a disc, then gives the Apple chime and finally starts up. Typical PC's you can go into a BIOS and re-arrange startup order, but since Apple=EFI, no option. Google didn't help, so I thought I'd try here.

Any thoughts? I rather it be looking at the hard drive and not the optical drive at all, I usually hold option when I need to boot from a disc anyway.

System Preferences --> Startup Disk and the disk you choose will be the first startup choice.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
System Preferences --> Startup Disk and the disk you choose will be the first startup choice.

Not quite, it still "seeks", or tries to look for a disc on startup, thus, the sound like ejecting a disc, then it starts up. I'm trying to get it where it will not look for a disc at all whatsoever, short of unplugging the drive, eliminating the eject sound it makes on startup, and speeding up boot time by 1-2 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.