Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Ok, I took this shot in the Tokyo Fishmarket and sent it to a friend because I think it came out nicely. In turn it got put on stumbleupon and has had several hundred hits and thumbs up.

While i am happy that people seem to like it, I keep thinking there is something that needs to be improved on it but I can't put my finger on it. I think the overall mood is good but i am just a noob so I would like to get proper criticism, not just a thumbs up or down :)

//vic
PS: for those interested, shot with a D90 and 50mm prime at f1.8

Attachments

• _DSC0253.jpg
    _DSC0253.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 125

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
finally someone...

hey thanks... good point hmmm you think cropping the bottom part away might be better?
I do want the tuna to be distinguishable in the picture still but yes you are right about the block.

//vic

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, since you asked for CnC, I'm not sure why people gives several thumbs up for this picture?

Cause I don't really find any interesting in this picture except for the bell and the perspective (the angle of the blue box thingy adds perspective). I dunno, maybe its just me :rolleyes:

Sorry.

Edit:
Well since you mentioned that you want the tuna to be distinguishable, try taking in a way that the tuna stands out, and since there is a lot of tuna there, avoid any objects that is colored cause it will draw the eyes toward the colored object instead of the tuna unless you deliberately want it to be that way

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It is a very dull picture made a little more interesting with the use of selective focus (I'm a sucker for it). I've been to the same fish market, there is many more interesting things you could have acquired as a snap while you were there.

vicious1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
true that

I agree that there are more interesting things to take a snap of,
what blew me away was the sheer mechanical process and quantity of tunas. One of those goes for more than 5000 USD, a 300KG blue fin goes for more than 60000.

The bell was constantly in use and when the auctioner (is that the guy that says "going once, going twice.."?) set it down I just took the image. Like I said, Personally I find that something is missing in this but there are still people hitting on it and voting on it, then again some users are like flashmobs :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It actually takes a bit of effort to see that those are fish in the background. Doesn't matter anyway. I don't know why I'm looking at the photo. What's the subject? It also took me a second to see that it was a bell rather than a metal handle protruding from a large metal block of some sort. And even after I see that it's probably a bell, I wonder why I'm looking at it.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I agree that there are more interesting things to take a snap of,
what blew me away was the sheer mechanical process and quantity of tunas. One of those goes for more than 5000 USD, a 300KG blue fin goes for more than 60000.

The bell was constantly in use and when the auctioner (is that the guy that says "going once, going twice.."?) set it down I just took the image. Like I said, Personally I find that something is missing in this but there are still people hitting on it and voting on it, then again some users are like flashmobs :D

If the bell was constantly in use surely you have a photo of that? Human expressions reacting to the bell would have made for a more interesting image.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I like your picture better when it is cropped wide. Remove everything above the tip of the bell handle and below the diamond shape of the top of the block. The top and bottm strips add nothing and after the crp there are still enough fish to get the point across.

I try to think of pictures in terms of shapes and colors. the subject can be anything if you get shape, line and color right. Cropping helps because it leaves only a bright diamond and some oblong fish.

At a minimum crop just above the bell handle tip to remove the OOF people from the image. This makes the main subject (the bright top of the block) stand out more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.