Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
what remote or cable release can be used for a canon rebel xt for long exposures to keep the shutter open?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Canon RC-1 is a wireless remote that I use. I like it because it will work with my 400D and 40D. I think if I got a wired one I would need different models.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i can't tell just by looking at it but would the Canon RC-5 be able to do the same. just hold the button down in the manual setting for a long exposure...

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
be careful with wireless remotes that use IR to signal the camera. In longer exposures (several minutes) you will start to see pink light fringing on the side of the frame closest to the IR sensor/emitter. That's why I switched to a cable.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I've got the RC-1 for my Canon 400d, I just set the camera to BULB and the Remote/Timer click the remote to take the picture, press it again to finish.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
be careful with wireless remotes that use IR to signal the camera. In longer exposures (several minutes) you will start to see pink light fringing on the side of the frame closest to the IR sensor/emitter. That's why I switched to a cable.

That's kind of hard to imagine - are you sure you're not just seeing what's known as "amp noise"?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
That's kind of hard to imagine - are you sure you're not just seeing what's known as "amp noise"?

I just remembered it was on my old Nikon CP8800, before I got a 350D. And yeah, I'm positive it was the IR light, because it was exactly the same color as IR remotes I photographed to test it, and the problem ceased as soon as I used a wired remote.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK

Same thing happened to me, wireless remote for my Nikon was half the price of the cabled one, but in the end it was a waste of money and now I have both. IR sensors are a pain in the backside, trust us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.