Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MHammett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
What is the minimum server version required to get the caching server functionality? I've seen some places say 10.9 and others say 10.7. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.

I'm wanting to find which server version is the minimum so I can find its minimum hardware requirements (which is documented). Once I have that, I'll begin my search for hardware that meets those requirements so I can do a proof of concept and testing.

If that goes well, I'll then begin looking for suitable hardware for production. It'll likely be something capable of a couple SSDs and 10GigE.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I believe the Caching Server first appeared when Server.app debuted. That would make the oldest iteration of it macOS Lion — 10.7.

That said, I'd probably steer you toward 10.9 or 10.10 as minimum. Depending what you're doing, Lion might not be solid enough.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I believe the Caching Server first appeared when Server.app debuted. That would make the oldest iteration of it macOS Lion — 10.7.

That said, I'd probably steer you toward 10.9 or 10.10 as minimum. Depending what you're doing, Lion might not be solid enough.
I'm going to edit my post. Mavericks/Server 3.0 had what Apple called "Caching Server 2" and supported iOS 7 and back to 10.8.2 for Mac clients. There was some earlier iteration but I don't think it was particularly useful, and it's not listed in my Server Essentials for Mountain Lion book.
If you're eventually moving to the High Sierra version of Caching Server, I wouldn't waste time looking at versions earlier than what's available now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJLC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.