Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
any thoughts on these? i dont really mind paying for Pocket Wizards (i have used them before) but since i do 99% of my photography in an indoor studio setting i don't really think i need super-high end triggers like that. i am trying to move away from tungsten hotlights into off camera strobes per the info mentioned at Strobist and wanted to start out cheaply as my demands are not very high.

just wondering of anyone has any good or bad experience with the Cactus triggers. i figure for that price even if they work averagely good its worth the price.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I use them and they're fantastic for the price. The sometimes fail however, so if the photos are important, i.e. Paid work, then get Pocket Wizards. But if all you need is the ability to trigger flash off camera cheaply, they're great! :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
any thoughts on these? i dont really mind paying for Pocket Wizards (i have used them before) but since i do 99% of my photography in an indoor studio setting i don't really think i need super-high end triggers like tha....

I use Wein slave triggers. I put a cheap hot shoe strobe on my camera and set it for lowest power setting and aim it at the ceiling. Then I connect a Wein slave to the Norman power pack unit. The power pack is in turn connected to several strobe heads. It works flawlessly.

I use the "HS" model shown on this page
http://www.weinproducts.com/batteryfree.htm

Before I got the Normal powerpack system I used to put these slaves on the base of some Vivitar H283 battery strobes. The Wein HS slaves have a tripod mount socket on the bottom so it is pretty easy to set up a wireless multiflash system for cheap. The HS slaves are not expensive.

I think the Wein units are simpler and certainly smaller than the catus. The cost less and work well. The only disadvantage is that you need an visable light strone mounted on the camera, but you can aim it on the back wall. But one advantage is that the Wein system can even be tiggers with a pint and shot

I use a system like this while scuba diving. I have a house compact camera and built-in flash is blacked with a strip of metal. I put a lenght of fiber optic cable in back ofthe matal strip so the end can "see" the flash but the matel blocks the light from the subject. the other end ofthe fiber a taped to an optical slave on the flash housing.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I own one of those, and i love them! but be warned, they do not work near x-ray equipment of whatever reason. i use them to trigger hot shoe flashes as well as my studio strobes.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
excellent for the price. I use one transmitter and three receivers for a 580EXII and two Vivtars 285HV's.

I've only had about maybe 1 misfire (rather, one NOT fire) for every 30 or so photos. Otherwise, I've noticed when they're in too close proximity to each other (5 feet or so) they fire off randomly when not being triggered.

otherwise, they work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.