Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furby2005

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Surrey, UK
Just used the calculator for the first time in Sequoia on my 13" M1 MacBook Pro only to find the Touch Bar completely blank! That is a really mean omission by Apple. The calculator used to be one of the few apps which made excellent use of the Touch Bar; having the calculator function keys directly above the numbers made it a real pleasure to use, now there's nothing there. I'll report the omission as a bug and it might get fixed in a future update but I've a feeling that it's a "feature" and that the Touch Bar is well and truly dead in Apple's eyes, no longer receiving even token support from Apple's own apps. Very disappointing...

RV5595

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
Same! I just came across this and immediately did a search for it. I already considered going back to previous MacOS

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Calculator seems to be a full redesign… there are a bunch of minor changes that could trip up a frequent user (e.g. previously the green dot would switch from Basic to Advanced view; now its greyed out and there’s a dedicated button for it). I suspect Touch Bar got the axe at the same time.

Send feedback; if enough people moan about it they’ll find the resources to add it back. Https://www.apple.com/feedback

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Since the app looks virtually identical on iOS and iPadOS (where it is also new) I'd wager it was replaced by a Catalyst and/or SwiftUI version. Presumably, macOS features like the Touch Bar weren't added after.

5tracks

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2021
I used the touchbar all the time in macos calculator, it was much quicker than clicking the buttons with the mouse... I'm probably in the minority, but this is a big disappointment for me!

5tracks

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2021
Found a calculator in the app store (PCalc) which has touchbar support. This was a more challenging hunt than I would've imagined, btw!

it's a $10 app, but I think that's worth it as the only reason I bought my particular macbook over the other sizes was for the touchbar.

Last edited:

RV5595

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
Found a calculator in the app store (PCalc) which has touchbar support. This was a more challenging hunt than I would've imagined, btw!

it's a $10 app, but I think that's worth it as the only reason I bought my particular macbook over the other sizes was for the touchbar.
Thank you! I will check it out and I’ve sent Apple feedback about this as well; probably never will be read. I suspect the touch bar will be ignored more and more as time goes on.

PotentPeas

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2023
Ran across this thread after posting about another calculator regression that I noticed (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/calculator-regression.2437526/).

This is probably a result of them rebuilding the calculator, the name of the framework that they are using escapes me, but it allows them to basically have one project and build it for macOS, iPad, and iPhone. As part of this, they "neglected" to bring over or rewrite the Touch Bar functionality.

I think the same "solution" might work here — If you rely on this functionality, Apple's probably not going to give it back, so just get a copy of the macOS Sonoma Calculator app and keep it around (until you no longer have a system with a Touch Bar).

...I'm stuck trying to figure out how to actually copy a macOS system application. Everything that I have tried has either resulted in it just dropping an "alias", or an app that crashes immediately.

Or, maybe I should just buy PCalc. @5tracks, can you confirm whether it has the "repeat behavior" function that I describe in the thread that I linked above?

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I used the touchbar all the time in macos calculator, it was much quicker than clicking the buttons with the mouse...
umm... unless I'm missing something, you don't need to click the buttons with the mouse - you can just use the keyboard. or are you referring to extra scientific/memory buttons?

5tracks

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2021
umm... unless I'm missing something, you don't need to click the buttons with the mouse - you can just use the keyboard. or are you referring to extra scientific/memory buttons?
I'm referring to basic operations like addition and multiplication, which I had setup for the touchbar, one quick tap versus clicking with the mouse or requiring shift+number row.

Or, maybe I should just buy PCalc. @5tracks, can you confirm whether it has the "repeat behavior" function that I describe in the thread that I linked above?
Yes, PCalc has that in the settings menu, it's turned off by default, but after checking the box it's back it repeat mode (I use that, too)

Reactions: PotentPeas

PotentPeas

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2023
Yes, PCalc has that in the settings menu, it's turned off by default, but after checking the box it's back it repeat mode (I use that, too)
Thanks. I picked it up and it seems good. ...Sort of options overload, ha, but I was able to get it quickly set up with something workable for me.

Furby2005

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2019
Surrey, UK

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I've had PCalc on my iPad (which only supports iOS 16 anyway) for ages and like it as an app on that. It's ironic that Apple's "upgrade" of the calculator has resulted in the need to buy a third party app 🙁

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.