Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Genuinely want to meet the person who signed off iOS18's new UI design, with the added tasks for each day. Hopefully I can advise them to leave the technology field permanently and also not have children for fear of passing on such a high degree of idiocy.

Who thought it was a good idea? Makes it impossible to use month view and see what, erm, your calendar appointments are.

AND THEN I realised that you can turn off the reminders appearing by tapping "Calendars" (intuitive, right?) and, under "Other", tapping Scheduled Reminders.

Of course, there's still a weird bug that if you scroll through months, the calendar entries "pop in" like a video game after a second of viewing a different month. But I guess we can work with that?

Reactions: !!!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's funny, I feel the opposite; the redesign in this case made the month view actually useful; instead of just seeing dots you can see what the actual events are on that day.

And I happen to like my scheduled reminders appearing in my calendar.

We all use our devices differently and this just proves it moreso!

I agree the "popping in" issue should be fixed, though. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to cache a bit further ahead and back. The MacOS version of Calendar doesn't have this problem.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
I really don’t understand what your complaint is. The new Calendar UI is the main reason I upgraded so when you look at month view I can see my entire shift schedule as opposite to dots that just signify there are events that day but not what calendar they belong to. The old month view is still an option. What exactly is the issue? I’m just trying to understand.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I really don’t understand what your complaint is. The new Calendar UI is the main reason I upgraded so when you look at month view I can see my entire shift schedule as opposite to dots that just signify there are events that day but not what calendar they belong to. The old month view is still an option. What exactly is the issue? I’m just trying to understand.
Happy to reply!

I have ADHD and several daily repeating reminders for things like taking tablets in the morning and evening, or watering the houseplants, or various other household tasks.

When I opened the Calendar app in iOS18 for the first time, the month view was a confusing mess because all these reminders had been added in, pushing down all my calendar events (I have a shared calendar with my wife for our various appointments). Just a riot of coloured shapes on each day of the month.

Completely useless view. Tapping on a day didn't really help because again a tonne of information was thrown at me, with my reminders at the top, forcing me to scroll down to see my calendar events.

Now, if I turn off reminders appearing in the calendar, then actually – yes, it's an improvement over the old iOS 17 and earlier view.

My guess is that how people use Reminders will have a huge impact on how Calendar appears for them. If you use Reminders for occasional reminders of tasks – grab some bread on the way home from work, for example – then it'll probably be super. If you make heavy use of Reminders, like I do, then iOS 18's Calendar is just a design disaster. And how this didn't come up in user testing baffles me.

Reactions: P_Watt

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Honestly, I like having the option of now showing tasks in the calendar view. At least they gave one the option to turn it off. All too often Apple implement something, with no option to turn certain things off...

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I like it. Views are customizable. Nice to have reminders incorporated, instead of in a separate app (finally!)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.