Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Calendar settings gives the option to sync calendar anywhere from 2 weeks back to all events. Curious why someone would choose to sync only a limited time back as opposed to all events, in the case that you wanted to check which day an event occurred. What would be the point in having those older events cleared out?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I think it's a question of storage. If you've got enough storage, then syncing all events would seem useful; but if you don't have enough device and iCloud storage, then limiting the sync timeframe might help conserve space.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I think it's a question of storage. If you've got enough storage, then syncing all events would seem useful; but if you don't have enough device and iCloud storage, then limiting the sync timeframe might help conserve space.
I’m not seeing Calendar listed in my iCloud storage breakdown, but since these events are just text, aren’t we talking no more than bytes or a few megabytes? The only exception I could see is if you’re adding attachments. Then that makes sense. Am I on the right track?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’m not seeing Calendar listed in my iCloud storage breakdown, but since these events are just text, aren’t we talking no more than bytes or a few megabytes? The only exception I could see is if you’re adding attachments. Then that makes sense. Am I on the right track?
I see it in Apps that use iCloud and also in the General > iPhone Storage. Depending on the number of calendars and complexity, syncing all events could use more storage than a user might want. It makes sense to me to have limited timeframe options for those that want it.

Reactions: purdnost

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The other side of it is can you imagine if Apple didn't offer those options and everyone was forced to live with sync all events? I imagine the reason they're there was based on customer feedback.

Reactions: purdnost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.