Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Not necessarily a photography thing but I know there are people here with the knowledge.

I Use a BenQ SW2700 display for my work but decided to set up a second display as I had an old one hanging around. I will mostly use it for email etc so the colour isn't all that important but I noticed that when I calibrated it (with an Xrite i1 Display), it has a greenish colour cast to the whites. I have had a similar thing when trying to calibrate a laptop alongside another display. Is this just the limitations of a old and poorer quality screen or am I doing something wrong. I calibrated both screens twice but still have the same result.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not necessarily a photography thing but I know there are people here with the knowledge.

I Use a BenQ SW2700 display for my work but decided to set up a second display as I had an old one hanging around. I will mostly use it for email etc so the colour isn't all that important but I noticed that when I calibrated it (with an Xrite i1 Display), it has a greenish colour cast to the whites. I have had a similar thing when trying to calibrate a laptop alongside another display. Is this just the limitations of a old and poorer quality screen or am I doing something wrong. I calibrated both screens twice but still have the same result.
Is it an i1 display Pro (silver with a ambient light filter that swivels or an i1 display that looks like a mouse?

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Yes, it has the swivelly bit with the ambient light filter. I've never bothered using that feature though.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
No, hadn't realised you can turn off profiles altogether. Will chat to Ashley and find out more!
You can't really turn them off, but you can roll them back to the default one whilst calibrating, so it's neutral to start off with. Once it has finished the calibrating, the new profile will be loaded. I call mine all similar things, just with a date prefix and light condition added to them. Such as, 2018_07_21_iMac_27_2012_daylight_winter for a winter daylight influenced work environment.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Many thanks for all of the above. I spoke to Ashley who gave me much good advice. In particular to use the native white point for the calibration. After some more adjustments and using a linear colour profile as a starting point (Xrite have one on their site you can download), I got it quite a bit closer. At the end of the day, it is an old screen and even in its day, only average quality, so I can't expect it to be a patch on the lovely BenQ SW2700. One thing I did notice was that the colour cast is most obvious in the whites while mid-tones are much closer.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Depending on your setup you may be able to store separate calibrations if you use two discreet video cards.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'll just toss out that I can NEVER get two different displays of different brands to match regardless of what I do to calibrate them.

The native white point of an LCD is determined by the color of the backlight. Most will be close when new, but as the backlights age the color shifts. LEDs are MUCH more stable and easier to get to match in this regard. For that matter, I find that I can usually get CRTs to match provided that the phosphors are in good condition, but there again LCDs are a totally different ball game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.