Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I have the new 16" MBP M1 Pro and 6K Pro XDR Display and noticed the MBP display has blacker blacks and more vibrant colors, less blooming.

Both the MBP and Pro XDR are set to "HDR mode" preset playing AppleTV show Invasion. I also tried Pro XDR connected to M1 Mac mini and the slightly washed out picture quality remains.

Can someone with both do the same test and let me know if they are seeing the same? I'm asking here before I open an AppleCare ticket for repair on the Pro XDR.

Attachments

• tempImagexEIXAo.png
    tempImagexEIXAo.png
    2 MB · Views: 468

Nomad110

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I think your display is fine. The screen on the M1 Pro Mac is just better than the XDR display in terms of backlight zone density and off axis viewing. Even The Verge review mentioned it (
).

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
@Nomad110 Thank you for responding. I listened to The Verge podcast on the new MBP and Nilay also mentioned the MBP built-in display looks better then Pro Display XDR. :( I guess it's the higher dimming zones in MBP makes the blacks look better than Pro Display.

Nomad110

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Well it’s more modern tech by 2 years…it’s understandable to a certain point.

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
@Nomad110 I have the Pro Display XDR, had it since 2019. Have you set the unit to HDR Video (P3-ST 2084) setting for comparison?

Also, any luck playing Dolby Vision files on your Pro Display XDR or the new M1Pro MBP?

I have found nothing, drivers, 3rd party players that would play Dolby Vision files on my Macs.

Nomad110

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
@Nomad110 I have the Pro Display XDR, had it since 2019. Have you set the unit to HDR Video (P3-ST 2084) setting for comparison?

Also, any luck playing Dolby Vision files on your Pro Display XDR or the new M1Pro MBP?

I have found nothing, drivers, 3rd party players that would play Dolby Vision files on my Macs.
Hey there. Sorry I don't really work with those kind of files. I'm an overpaid coder...so I just look at the crispy text most of the time. I'd ask you for an example to try out but it'll be a while before I get back to my ProDisplay XDR as work has me out on assignment until Dec 15 (ugh, maybe I'm not that overpaid after all). lolololol

I'm sure one of the more media types will chime in.

Cheers!

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Hey there. Sorry I don't really work with those kind of files. I'm an overpaid coder...so I just look at the crispy text most of the time. I'd ask you for an example to try out but it'll be a while before I get back to my ProDisplay XDR as work has me out on assignment until Dec 15 (ugh, maybe I'm not that overpaid after all). lolololol

I'm sure one of the more media types will chime in.

Cheers!

lol
Overpaid code = oxymoron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.