Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessestack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Hi brainstrust.

I'm having trouble updating my 7D's firmware and google isn't providing much information.

I have firmware version 1.1.0 and have downloaded the 1.2.1 update from Canon. I can't seem to get it on to the CF card though to complete the update.

When I put the CF in my printer's card reader (canon MP960) the card is read only so I can't copy the firmware to it. (I also can't reformat it with disk utility)

When trying to use EOS utility, it doesn't match the (PC) screen grabs they have in the "how to upgrade" pdf and it seems to be missing a button or two.

Maybe my flu is affecting my brain capacity...

I'm sure there a mac users who have updated their 7D's firmware, do you mind telling me how you went about it?

Much appreciated.

Jesse

MBP 2.6 GHz C2D 4GB Ram - OSX10.6.4 - Canon 7D 1.1.0 - EOS Utility 2.8.1)

saurus

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I have a 5D2, but the process should be the same.

You need a card reader, so you can save the firmware onto the card in the root directory (highest folder). If it's not saved in the root folder, then the camera won't find it.

I don't think you can do that through the camera and I doubt you could do the same with a printer either, because both will put you into the DCIM subfolder instead.

So find or borrow a card reader and you'll be good. Or find a camera shop, who may be willing to help you out.

FYI: remember to have a fully charged battery before you start the process.

jessestack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for the reply,

Got my hands on a proper USB card reader today and that worked.

I suppose I was silly to think that the card reader in the printer would work. It showed on the desktop as a USB drive and I could see the root folder but only had "read only" access??

Don't know why I couldn't use EOS utility straight to the camera either. (as the Canon website says you can)

Thanks again.
Jesse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.