Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
So, here's my situation... I enjoy taking and trying to take pictures of birds and other wildlife, but I'd love to get more keepers. I'm currently shooting with a D80 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Indeed its a nice set up, but I'm having problems focusing and keeping focus on birds and such on the move. Any ideas how I can improve my skills (I assume its my skill, not so much my equipment :p)?

Thanks for any helpful comments :eek:

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
Perhaps post a link to some examples. Sounds like you need to learn panning (which ain't easy) for flight, and maybe try manual focussing for still shots if shooting from distance?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
So, here's my situation... I enjoy taking and trying to take pictures of birds and other wildlife, but I'd love to get more keepers. I'm currently shooting with a D80 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Indeed its a nice set up, but I'm having problems focusing and keeping focus on birds and such on the move. Any ideas how I can improve my skills (I assume its my skill, not so much my equipment :p)?

Thanks for any helpful comments :eek:

You'll get better if you shoot more. Some species are more predictable and easier to shoot than others. You can also deal with manual focus and depth of field calculators for birds or animals that are moving parallel to you. The more contrast the AF module has, the better it will perform, and being closer seems to help too. AF for things moving parallel is easier for the camera than for things moving towards you. Finally, the AF module on the D3/D300 is supposed to be significantly better and that's one place where an actual camera upgrade can make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.