Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Hi everyone!

I was pondering on buying a digital camera before the year is out. I'm really unsure what sort of camera I would want. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to digital photography, I can just about operate a camera, but have never had the pleasure of owning a half decent camera.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the worlds greatest photographer. Really I want a good quality camera, preferably under £500 (not sure what that would be in dollars)

So really a camera that takes nice sharp pictures. If I owned a camera there may also be the chance of me photographing old documents. Other than that I'd just be using it when I go out. I don't want anything really big and bulky either.

Can anyone think of anything that would fit in with my requirements? :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi everyone!

I was pondering on buying a digital camera before the year is out. I'm really unsure what sort of camera I would want. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to digital photography, I can just about operate a camera, but have never had the pleasure of owning a half decent camera.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the worlds greatest photographer. Really I want a good quality camera, preferably under £500 (not sure what that would be in dollars)

So really a camera that takes nice sharp pictures. If I owned a camera there may also be the chance of me photographing old documents. Other than that I'd just be using it when I go out. I don't want anything really big and bulky either.

Can anyone think of anything that would fit in with my requirements? :)

Photographing old documents isn't something that's done well without "big and bulky." Any camera with a half-decent lens will take sharp pictures given enough light and absent diffraction from too small an aperture. DPReview has lots of point-and-shoot reviews, with sample pictures- all the major players have good offerings. All I do is "big and bulky," so I don't have any specific recommendations...

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
If you don't want anything big and bulky then you probably won't need to spend near £500. I'll list some recommendations below, but the best thing you can do is go into a camera shop and get hands on with a few.

Canon PowerShot SD1000
Casio Exilim EX-Z1050
Fujifilm FinePix F40
Nikon Coolpix S500
Nikon Coolpix S10

Looking at the prices, non of them are near £500. If you want something a little more, and don't mind a bit more bulk you could look at the following.

Nikon Coolpix P5000
Canon PowerShot A570 IS
Canon PowerShot G7

Just some suggestions, im sure someone else will have better advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.