Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npdale

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hi Guys I know all of you will be the best to ask about this... i'm looking to get myself a DSLR after using my Dad's Canon 300D for sometime. I have between £400 and £600 to spend on it so... any suggestions please :)

Also looking for lens advice and has anyone heard anything about the web course on http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk ??

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Please take a look at the 10-20 other threads in this forum asking the exact same question, most of them with a similar budget.

I'd say as you have access to some Canon EF lenses get a Canon EOS 400D.

Jan 30, 2006
well the ones I have used are the Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel XTi, both are great cameras, I personally prefer Nikon, but both perform excellent.

The Pentax K100 has also recoeved good reviews. Me best advice would be to go to a store and try them.

What do you want to shoot?

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
i'd get a canon or a nikon personally rather than a brand like Pentax or KM

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If your dad shoots Canon, I think it makes sense for you to also get a Canon (assuming you see your dad a fair bit). Maybe you can coordinate lens purchases - build a combined library.

This is the same reason a couple of my friends bought Nikon cameras - so they can borrow my wide-angle lens mainly. :D

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
If your dad shoots Canon, I think it makes sense for you to also get a Canon (assuming you see your dad a fair bit). Maybe you can coordinate lens purchases - build a combined library.

This is the same reason a couple of my friends bought Nikon cameras - so they can borrow my wide-angle lens mainly. :D

I really really really agree with that
Canon is an awesome brand (as is Nikon)
I own a Canon myself, and it's a real plus if you and your dad have compatible lenses. You certainly won't have to worry about selection, anyway.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Hi Guys I know all of you will be the best to ask about this... i'm looking to get myself a DSLR after using my Dad's Canon 300D for sometime. I have between £400 and £600 to spend on it so... any suggestions please :)

Also looking for lens advice and has anyone heard anything about the web course on http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk ??

Thanks

£600 would buy you a Canon 40d here. Assuming you will always have access to your dads lenses, that would be a good choice.

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
£600 would buy you a Canon 40d here. Assuming you will always have access to your dads lenses, that would be a good choice.

by the sound of it he's not a serious photographer, so whatever the newest rebel is would suit him well too

remember, the lense matters more than the camera, so be prepared to splurge on a lense. The body matters less. The new rebels are better than my 20D except in terms of feel

buffalomike

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
buffalo

I hope you borrow some beer from them when they return the lens:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.