Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
There are lots of Mac compatible cameras. Lots. If you give more information about what you're looking for, what the camera has to be able to do, and prince ranges, you're likely to get more information back.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
There are lots of Mac compatible cameras. Lots. If you give more information about what you're looking for, what the camera has to be able to do, and prince ranges, you're likely to get more information back.

Heh, I wish I could give exact information but I only have one camera that I haven't used much. It's a canon and the thing that I dislike most about it is that I can't zoom in far enough. Im not quite experienced with cameras. I thought maybe I could get some suggestions with compatibility. Maybe I could say that I'm looking for a high quality consumer camera? :/

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Forgive us for not responding within an hour and a half to a post that's been answered many times in the Digital Photography forum. Or you could search Google. Or you could read the reviews posted on sites like dcresource.com or dpreview.com . Honestly a "high quality consumer camera" covers many different models. You'll need to be more specific before anyone can really help you.

Most cameras will work on a Mac, since ultimately they are just enclosures for the CF or SD card stored inside them (a veritable memory stick).

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Forgive us for not responding within an hour and a half to a post that's been answered many times in the Digital Photography forum. Or you could search Google. Or you could read the reviews posted on sites like dcresource.com or dpreview.com . Honestly a "high quality consumer camera" covers many different models. You'll need to be more specific before anyone can really help you.

Most cameras will work on a Mac, since ultimately they are just enclosures for the CF or SD card stored inside them (a veritable memory stick).

Thanks Mon!

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I like Canon, I use all Canon and Canon is one of the companies that Apple sells their products.

Canon powershots are great and so are the EOS models.

Your pick in either, you can't go wrong with either.

:)

Trix

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Where does the line end for conventional digital cameras (with whatever megapixels etc) and the beginning of the 55mm cameras I believe they are? (with the swappable lenses and things)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I use Canon for point and-shoots, Nikon digital SLR for serious photography. Both Companoies make good cameras, I prefer Nikon because of (IMHO) better handling, control, and menu functions.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Depends what you want to take pictures of. If it's photos of the kids and the occasional birthday sort of photos then something like this is perfect.

However if you really want to get into photography, plan on taking loads of pictures of fast moving sports and maybe trying to sell some work then you need something like this.

As you can see there is a huge price and size difference and it really all depends on what you would like to do with your camera.
Personally I have both a small point and shoot that I take when I go out on my motorbike and I have a large DSLR and several lenses kit that I tend to use the most often.

HTH

How is a film camera compatible???

It is if you take the film and then scan the negs/slides. I used to do that a lot before I knew if digital was going to take off or not.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
How is is NOT compatible?

ok, where do you plug it in? Does your mac process film? I can't find the developing fluids in mine.
It's compatible in that you can get the pictures developed, then scan them in I guess...

It is if you take the film and then scan the negs/slides. I used to do that a lot before I knew if digital was going to take off or not.
That's more a "is my scanner compatible" issue then really.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
ok, where do you plug it in? Does your mac process film? I can't find the developing fluids in mine.
It's compatible in that you can get the pictures developed, then scan them in I guess...

That's more a "is my scanner compatible" issue then really.

Now you're being silly. By your logic no computer made would be compatible with a film camera. Of course you have to use something to digitize the image <:rolleyes:> but that's not a Mac issue, is it? Unless you know of some other kind of computer you could "plug-in" a film camera to... ;)

The whole point is that the OP asked about what was a good camera compatible with Macs, and I simply said all cameras are compatible with Macs (as compared to... let's see... other kinds of computers...)

I used my 35mm film camera for years in the journalism field. All we used were Macs. Every digital camera made will produce digital files that can be somehow used on a Mac. In fact most high-end digital camcorders were primarily compatible with Macs due to firewire connectivity, which was slow to arrive on PCs.

So, as far as the OP's question goes... it's not an issue. Just pick a good camera. Period. And there are lots of them, depending on price, size, style, etc. Seriously... your Mac won't get in the way. :cool:

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Now you're being silly. By your logic no computer made would be compatible with a film camera. Of course you have to use something to digitize the image <:rolleyes:> but that's not a Mac issue, is it? Unless you know of some other kind of computer you could "plug-in" a film camera to... ;)

The whole point is that the OP asked about what was a good camera compatible with Macs, and I simply said all cameras are compatible with Macs (as compared to... let's see... other kinds of computers...)

I used my 35mm film camera for years in the journalism field. All we used were Macs. Every digital camera made will produce digital files that can be somehow used on a Mac. In fact most high-end digital camcorders were primarily compatible with Macs due to firewire connectivity, which was slow to arrive on PCs.

So, as far as the OP's question goes... it's not an issue. Just pick a good camera. Period. And there are lots of them, depending on price, size, style, etc. Seriously... your Mac won't get in the way. :cool:

Yes, any camera will produce an image, which can be imported onto your mac, but unless you can go direct from camera to mac, it's not a compatible camera. I don't view a 2 step multi day, extra hardware requiring, process as compatible when getting images from one device to another (finish film, send it for developing, wait for prints to be returned and then scan) The OP was clearly asking for recomendations for something that will directly plug into his mac and grab the images directly, 35mm film does not fulfiil that requirement.

You might as well say my paperback book is compatible, because what's to stop me typing it out?

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Yes, any camera will produce an image, which can be imported onto your mac, but unless you can go direct from camera to mac, it's not a compatible camera. I don't view a 2 step multi day, extra hardware requiring, process as compatible when getting images from one device to another (finish film, send it for developing, wait for prints to be returned and then scan) The OP was clearly asking for recomendations for something that will directly plug into his mac and grab the images directly, 35mm film does not fulfiil that requirement.

You might as well say my paperback book is compatible, because what's to stop me typing it out?

The original question had two parts: 1)what is a good camera 2) that is also compatible with Mac. The answer really is "just about any film or digital camera."

To the OP:
If you are interested in learning about photography itself, a film SLR is a great and inexpensive way to start. Getting your photos to your mac is as easy as dropping the film at a 1-hour photo lab while you are out and asking for a CD of the pictures instead of prints.

If you are simply looking to take snapshots or aren't interested in learning all the specifics about how images are produced, any digital camera within your budget will fit the bill.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
If you're shooting in JPEG, which I would assume you are, then you can most likely rest assured your photos will work with most any functioning computer you can find that's not more than six or seven or eight years old.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Okay, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're being serious here, and not just loving the argument. If you want this to be your definition of compatible - fine. Knock yourself out. I stand by my previous answer.

I wasn't recommending the OP go the film route, just saying that he will not need to consider whether or not a camera can co-exist with Macs in his decision. Or what brand of PC, for that matter. So now all he has to decide is "what is a good camera..."

BTW: I used to go from film to digital file, processing the film myself, either printing a work print and scanning, or simply scanning the negative, complete with PP in 15-20 minutes, so you're just a bit off on your 2-day timeframe there. And, as sahnert said, it's a snap to take film to a 1-hr processor for "processing only" (about 10 minutes if you wait) to scan at home, or have them scan it for you (easiest.) This information is more to let the OP know how wide his options really are, rather than him feeling limited somehow by his need for Mac-friendly choices. That's pretty basic.

Compatibility when using various computers/software was a very real issue in the days of SCSI and PC parallel ports when compared to today, but primarily for peripherals, not cameras. Cameras were cameras, independent things not dependent on computers. The compatibility issues were with devices designed to bridge the "analog to digital" gap, just like with any other digital technology. It never was a camera issue one way or the other. Today, any Mac (like in the old days) can connect to a film scanner and convert to digital... so film cameras are compatible. You can use them, and not have to trade in your Mac for some other type of computer. Seriously. So much for the film issue...

Digital cameras are really more like electronic gadgets with lenses, and they were always Mac compatible from the beginning because they produced digital image files, whether they directly plugged into the computer or not (card readers come to mind.) Pro digital camera raw files were more likely to be Mac compatible than not, and consumer digital cameras produced jpeg files...so they were Mac compatible. And last time I checked, that's still the case.

I think you know what I'm saying, and actually agree with this, but if you want to split hairs after this, you're on your own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.