Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I was here.................

http://www.cameraarmor.us/

....................and I thought this was a good idea. I can't afford the most rugged equipment (Rebels), so why not give it an extra layer of protection.

Does anybody use Camera Armor or another brand, that I'm not aware of.

Its a shame for me. They don't have a cover for my battery grip. At least not yet.

The red color is cool.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't use them. I guess if you take the right amount of care you shouldn't need one. Also some people think they're Butt Ugly. I can see the practical side though, say if I went mountain climbing with my camera I'd maybe use one.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I've considered them in the past when I had a non-weather sealed D70s, but after moving to the D300 I have less of a reason now. I love the rugged look, but doubt their practicality. There are quite a few review out there, and one thing that I do remember is that their fit isn't as perfect to the cameras as they should be, i.e. slight misalignments etc...

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
A friends got one on his D40, it does does its job, but is quite ugly, and the strap has to be removed to take it on or off.

Another problem is that grit and dirt can still get in there and anything rough in there would scratch up the body over time.

It is grippy though and would definitely protect against a knock or two.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I find them ugly and they stand against my policy of, "if you can't afford to replace something then don't own it".

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Yeah I have one, "Camera Armor", Black, for a Nikon D40X. And I had it on when I dropped my camera from waist high to the cement floor, with a Sigma Wide Angle 17-35mm f2.8 lens on. I always thought I would be fast enough to at least break the fall if it ever fell, but I tell you, it dropped like a rock. I didn't even have time to twitch my toe.
Luckily no damage, some scratching on the side of the lens, but not on the glass. It hit on the left side near the bottom. The rubber eye piece flew off, and I thought at the time it was a piece of plastic from the camera. That was 6 months ago, and I have not had any problems with the camera or the lens. I don't use the Camera Armor any more, but if I am out and about in the woods or need to use it otherwise, I would put it back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.