Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
My Nikon D40 comes in tomorrow. I was wondering what kind of camera bags ya'll were using? I am looking for high end bag as I want to protect my investment. Also, can ya'll suggest any needed accessories I should purchase?

Thanks for insight,
Chad :D

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
A long time Crumpler Bags' fan here - have a look at their website

eg:

b253_o10417_ai402.jpg

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Now that is a nice looking bag! Even if it is a little pricey, I am sure the quality is awesome.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I hate to admit it, but I myself being a Nikon user purchased and continue to use this bag made by cannon. it holds a ton of stuff. I keep 2 bodies a D200 with grip and a D50 along with 3 lenses a 18-55 kit lens, a 55-200 piece of junk and a 50mm 1.8, a SB-600 with sto-fen omni bounce, 4 nikon rechargeable battries and a AA adapter for the D200 and there is a ton of room left for 2 memory card cases, card readers, 2 nikon chargers, USB extention cables,a ton AA battries(when using CLS the AAs gone faster than cake after a Chili Peppers concert:D) and the manuals for everything

yes i know it's cannon therefore it must be evil, but cannon did such a good job making this thing i bought one for my friend's birthday, in fact if cannon did such a good job with the build quality and i did not have money invested in nikon glass i might just switch:eek:

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
^ Canon is spelled with 1 N. :) Sorry canon fangirl here, love my 20D and everything Canon. :)

A long time Crumpler Bags' fan here - have a look at their website

I completely agree, I have a few Crumplers 5 and 7 Million Dollar Homes, I also have a Crumpler messanger bag, and I want to get one of their laptop bags when I get a MBP. They are pricey, but well worth it IMO.

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I use the Canon 200eg bag, it's very nice.

There is another backpack somewhat similar I'm going blank on the name. But it has an orangish interiour and black outside. I'll provide a link if I remember.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I've got a Crumpler daily 600 (XL) for travel and a Lowepro 75 AW for just my camera. Both are excellent bags.

The Crumpler takes my Camera (Canon 400d) 3 lenses and 15" MBP plus all cables, power supplies with out a problem and the Lowepro take my 400d with a 70-200 f/4 L and battery grip and room for a small 28-90 lens.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I really like the medium bag. But, does it offer enough protection or is it padded at all? Also, any other accessories you guys suggest? Batteries, specific memory cards? I am waiting on buying new lenses and a speed light once I get back used to the SLR game. :D

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Well, after consideration. I think I am going with the Crumpler bag. I believe its called the 6 million dollar. Anyway, I will post some pics! Can't wait. :D

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Take a look at Domke bags. They have a bit more subtle classy look in terms of style and are made of canvas. They also have a ballistic line.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey guys,
My Nikon D40 comes in tomorrow. I was wondering what kind of camera bags ya'll were using? I am looking for high end bag as I want to protect my investment. Also, can ya'll suggest any needed accessories I should purchase?

Thanks for insight,
Chad :D

I'm a fan of Domke bags. I have a ouple of their cotton canvas bags. But I bought these back when Domke himself was making them. I like the removable insert idea. Sometimes I'll use the Domke inserts inside a Pelican case. and some times I'll just put the entire Domke bag inside a Pelican case for transport. Then I don't have to worry about what other llugage gets tossed on top of the camera bag. You can run a truck over a Pelican case, literally.

I don't think any bag offers much more then bump and scratch protection so I use the Domke bags that not over stuffed with padding. They are smaller and if I do need the protection for transport during travel I have my hard cases. I think you need both.

Crumpler seems to have picked up right were Domke left off. They are quite a bit alike. Either way canvas with light padding inside is what you want.

All that said, I normally don't bother with a case or bag. I use a normal lowe backpack and normally only carry one extra lens and one flash and leave the rest someplace.

One more item. I most own a ten of these. Best thing since fire and the wheel. They protect the camera well enough and allow you to keep a lens in your pocket or normal backpack. Calumet sell a slightly tougher version

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/4385/Domke_Protective_Cases_Wraps.html

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?...ui4WL6pECFSa7iQodix-vdQ&sid=12043114551070898

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another long-time Domke fan here! I bought my first Domke bag many, many years ago, over time added additional ones of varying sizes and have consistently found them to be the most satisfactory for my way of shooting and working with bags. I've tried other bags from time to time and always go right back to my beloved Domkes. The Crumpler bags are neat-looking but I find them too overstuffed and too heavily padded so that impedes my being able to quickly reach into the bag, grab the camera or a lens and start shooting.... I have a nice Crumpler laptop bag with which I"m very happy, but that is a different situation. When I'm out in the field shooting extensively I want and need to be able to flip open the camera bag, quickly grab what I need and go from there. Whether it's a different lens, a fresh battery or a unused CF card, I like being able to get it in a hurry. With any of my Domke bags I can do that. With some other brands, I can't.

A few months ago I was on a shoot with friends and one of them noticed not only how quickly and easily I was able to access my gear but how I could also change the configuration of the bag to instantly go into a different shooting situation. We were getting ready to go out into a location where I needed to travel light and yet have what I needed with me (camera body, a couple of long lenses); I promptly flipped open one of my Domke bags, removed the two inserts, borrowed an insert (different size) from another of my bags, and voila! I was ready to go in just a couple of minutes while she was still fiddling with her velcro and dividers. After we all returned home from that particular trip, my friend immediately went to her local camera shop and purchased a Domke bag.....

To my way of thinking, Domke really IS, as Jim Domke intended, a true photographer's bag.....

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
for those of you with the d40, is the crumpler 2 million dollar bag a sufficent size for the camera and the included 18-55mm kit lens? is it easy to put in/ pull out? does the strap also fit inside the bag?

how about the Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini Camera Bag? same questions as above.

i just need a small bag to protect the camera and the kit lens with maybe a pocket or two for a memory stick or battery.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
When I have my race-day kit (D200, 17-55/2.8, 70-200/2.8 VR + TC, SB800) I use a Domke F-2 bag. Packs very well and with the postal carrier shoulder pad I can carry it all day comfortably. If I'm just carrying the D200 with the 17-55 and maybe a flash I use the Crumpler $4M Bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.