Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfgang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Im looking into a canon 30d (an upgrade from my two +30 year old film slrs, both of which still work fine) and wanted to know if there were any bags out there that would be able to hold all three cameras, 3 or 4 extra lenses, and room for little stuff like film, mem cards, maybe a flash, preferably under $75. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Wolfgang said:
Im looking into a canon 30d (an upgrade from my two +30 year old film slrs, both of which still work fine) and wanted to know if there were any bags out there that would be able to hold all three cameras, 3 or 4 extra lenses, and room for little stuff like film, mem cards, maybe a flash, preferably under $75. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

All the good quality bags I've seen can't hold that much and are over $100. I doubt you'll find a good bag for less than $75. I would look at a Pelican case for all that stuff to haul around.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
beavo451 said:
All the good quality bags I've seen can't hold that much and are over $100. I doubt you'll find a good bag for less than $75. I would look at a Pelican case for all that stuff to haul around.
Yeah, good luck finding one for less than 75. You miiiiight find one used on ebay, but i'd come to grips with the fact that if you want all that gear protected and portable, you're gonna have to spend at least $100. I'd bet more like $130. Kata makes great bags, as does LowePro.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I have a Cyberpack 9 from Tamrac, and its awesomely big and should do the job. It has a notebook slot too for books or anything. If thats not necessary I'd look at the tamrac expedition 5 or 7.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
jared_kipe said:
I have a Cyberpack 9 from Tamrac, and its awesomely big and should do the job. It has a notebook slot too for books or anything. If thats not necessary I'd look at the tamrac expedition 5 or 7.

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 and I doubt it will come close to carring all that gear.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
beavo451 said:
I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 and I doubt it will come close to carring all that gear.
I've seen the expedition 5, but don't remember exactly how big it is, but I thought it was pretty similar to my CP9.

You'll have to do what I did, do some research online then go to a store to see how big those bags are in real life. A good example was I thought I wanted an expedition 7 untill I saw one, that thing is HUGE. Then order online, or on ebay (I did ebay).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually I have this bag Tenba Backpack and it holds 2 bodies (Nikon F4s and Nikon D70, and a myriad of lenses and other crud. I used it twice on vacation and then now it just holds my old toy cameras. If you're interested I'd be willing to let it go for +/- $75. It was $200 and some change when I bought it.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
All I can recommend is what I've used - Domke for the last six years. I have the J-3 Ballistic super compact, http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-J3B which is a little small for what you're looking for (Domke says 1 to 2 bodies with 3 to 4 lenses max, I'd say one body and a few lenses, but I have assesories in the side pockets). Perhaps a J-2 would work for you. Here are links to the other Domke classic bags: http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=4&tablename=domke&family=Domke+Camera+Bags&

and ballistic series bags: http://www.tiffen.com/results.html?search_type_no=5&tablename=domke&family=Domke+Camera+Bags&

A link to general features: http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke

I love mine. There are lots of different bags to choose and inserts to customize, plus they have that great classic photojournalism look to them - the bag equivilent of a photo vest (which Domke also makes, along with some of the nicest wide grippy camera straps out there - under assesories on the site). Domkes are a little pricy, however. MSPRs are listed with each model in the links above.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Wolfgang said:

Are you really going to carry all that equipment around with you? Or is this for storage or transport while the equipment is not in use. What I do is use some Pelican cases to store the equipment then I pull out just what I need and put it in a smaller bag. $75 seems a smal budget given the value of the equipment. If you really do need a bag and you can only spend $75 then look at two things: diaper bags (inteneded to hold all the "stuff" that goes along with a baby) or insulated luinch bags and "soft coolers". Both of these works well and don't look like they hold expensive equipment. You can find all kind of these at ther local drug store.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have several different bags for various uses, right now i'm using the crumpler " karachi outpost" as it holds pretty much everything i would need for a day of shooting. a tad expensive though. so that's kind of out of the running.

anyways.

Look up the LowePro Stealth AW II, it would be perfect for you, You can either hold. 1 body and 4 fullsized lenses. or 2 bodies and 3 full sized lenses. and it has a case for a 15" ( or smaller ) laptop. It is very inconspicuous in design ( as in, it doesn't scream " hey! i'm a photo bag! come steal me! " ) and is very comfortable to wear even all day.

i got mine on ebay 3 years ago for $100, I bet you anything you could find one now for $75

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/Stealth_AW_II.aspx

P.S. - despite all the other bags i have/had I still have this one, and it has held up amazingly well after 3 years of heavy duty use. it's got another 30+ in it ;) i use it very frequently.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Obsidian6 said:
I have several different bags for various uses, right now i'm using the crumpler " karachi outpost" as it holds pretty much everything i would need for a day of shooting. a tad expensive though.
I just ordered Crumpler The Karachi Outpost for my Canon and one of my notebook computers. I heard so many positive reviews on this bag, such as how sturdy this bag is, how much gear it can hold, how non-camera bag look it is, and etc.

The only thing I am concerned about is Karachi's water resistance in heavy rain. I hope Crumpler makes one of those vinyl cover like Lowepro bags.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another Domke bag fan here! Been using one for at least 15-16 years..... now I've got them in various sizes for various situations. I like them because they are not over-padded so that you can quickly get at your lenses or camera, they don't scream "CAMERA BAG!" and they are flexible with the various inserts.

I've also done what Chris mentions: I've used a soft insulated cooler, which works great in the heat of the summer for protecting my sensitive electronics and also looks like it's filled with sandwiches and sodas rather than expensive camera(s) and lenses. Hadn't thought about a diaper bag before, but yeah, I can see how that would work really well, too....

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Abstract said:
The only thing I'm going to suggest is increasing your budget. $75 for a camera bag that can hold all that stuff is a dream --- a weird dream.
That is so true. For smaller camera bags, $75 is get you a decent one. I have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is around $75. But, for a larger bag with good quality and protection, it is difficult to find anything less than $100 (for a new bag).

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
ugh... ebay safrotto? canvas bag for 2 cameras and lenses and with all metal buckles.

1000sandL.jpg

$75 shipped at the max

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
I wonder who carries 3 camera bodies around when shooting??? If you want a case to move your gear around while travelling, get a pelican, else if it is a bag for holding your gears while you are shooting, that ebay bag does a good job with 2 camera bodies and space for lenses and other accessories!

Wolfgang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for all the help. I think that im gonna go with two separate bags, one for the digital and its lenses, and the other for the two film cameras and their lenses since i probably wont need both film and digital at the same time. Maybe a tamrac explorer 2 for the 30d and a canon 100eg for the 2 film cameras and their lenses.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
YS2003 said:
I just ordered Crumpler The Karachi Outpost for my Canon and one of my notebook computers. I heard so many positive reviews on this bag, such as how sturdy this bag is, how much gear it can hold, how non-camera bag look it is, and etc.

The only thing I am concerned about is Karachi's water resistance in heavy rain. I hope Crumpler makes one of those vinyl cover like Lowepro bags.

I dont know personally how it would stand up, but i sure do like the bag. I sold my Lowepro Phototrekker AW II for this bag, only because i wanted to downsize. the phototrekker was like the most indestructable bag ever. I could probably fit a small child inside of it as well.

anyways.

However, if there was any kind of bad weather, i would certainly be taking my stealth bag. this lowepro just will not quit. even after being attacked by cats ( took a while to get the smell out. but its right as rain now ;) )

the karachi to me looks to be fairly weatherproof, but i dont think it is rated as an all-weather bag.

I also have a tenba shoulder bag which i use on occasion ( should have gotten a domke, but this was cheaper ;) ) it is very weather proof which i like. I don't use it too often though, because i tend to load too much gear into it and it winds up hurting my shoulder lol. if i could remind myself to keep it light, and with all the extra padding stuff removed, its kind of like a domke only with a little more protection ( and weather covers )

I would like a different strap though. I hate the one that came with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.