Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movieman76

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
I just recently got a Canon Digital Rebel XT with an old kit lens (28-80) and a Canon 75-300 lens, plus a couple of filters and CF cards. I'm looking for a new camera bag, since the one that I used with my Canon S1 IS is too small, to hold the new camera and lenses. Can anyone give me some suggestions for what they use and like? I was looking at the Tamrac Mini Explorer or Explorer 1, but I wasn't sure if the equipment I have will fit or not. I looked at the camera shops around me and none had these bags in stock for me to physically see and what they did have was either too big or too small. Thanks for the help!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I'd vote for a Crumpler 5 or 6 Million Dollar home. Cool bags that don't scream "Camera Bag!!!"

http://www.crumplerbags.com

5 Million Dollar Home:
b219_o10284_ai735.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another vote for Domke here! Been using them for years, since my early film days, and they hold up wonderfully, are unobtrusive so that it's not obvious what you're carrying, and it is quick and easy to grab your camera when an unexpected photo op comes along.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
Does anyone on here own the Brazillion Dollar Home bag? I have a Lowepro Nova 4, but it doesn't have a laptop space, and it doesn't really have enough room for my needs...Also, I was wondering if anyone owns the Lowepro Stealth Reporter (the one that holds the 12 inch laptop)?

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Check out the National Geographic Medium backpack. I just bought mine off of ebay, it has plenty of room for your camera stuff in the bottom compartment, a laptop compartment flat against your back, and a decent sized upper compartment for your accessories. Plus, there's more pockets on this thing than I could have dreamt of! I love it! Here's a thread about it:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181750

I just recently got a Canon Digital Rebel XT with an old kit lens (28-80) and a Canon 75-300 lens, plus a couple of filters and CF cards. I'm looking for a new camera bag, since the one that I used with my Canon S1 IS is too small, to hold the new camera and lenses. Can anyone give me some suggestions for what they use and like? I was looking at the Tamrac Mini Explorer or Explorer 1, but I wasn't sure if the equipment I have will fit or not. I looked at the camera shops around me and none had these bags in stock for me to physically see and what they did have was either too big or too small. Thanks for the help!

I have a Lowepro Steath Reporter 100AW (pictures) For sale in the Marketplace, and It was perfect to fit my Rebel, 2-3 lenses, and a flash, plus it has a zippered pocket for CF cards or Filters. The really cool thing about it is that it has an all-weather hood that you pull out and "wrap" around your bag if you get into some rain. It's a really great bag, I just outgrew it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I used a bunch of different things. I have enough camera gear that I never take all of it with me

I mostly keep my stuff in Pelican cases. These are really tough. I have no problem loading a case in a truck first and then loading hundreds of pounds of other gear on top of the case. Or leaving the case out in the rain.

I also use Domke bags. The "F" series is cotton duct canvas. I have a large Domke backpack too that I bought for medium format gear but now is used for video

I've also used military surplus ammo boxes with foam glued to the inside - very sturdy and cheap and I've used those soft ice boxes too. The coolers are cheap and they do not look like camera bags. They are a light as a bag an are self suporting with nice zipper tops

Another thing I've done -- Find a Domke bag that just fits inside a Pelican case. The combo work well. You can store and transport your stuff in the bomb proof case and then use the light weight Domke bag while you shoot.

Mostly I jjust use a normal school type backpack and put lunch, water bottle, jacket and camera stuff all in there. I try to carry only one extra lens. I'l use a Domke "Wrap" around each piece of gear before putting in the backpack and I'll pack the jacket so it take any bumps.

But I mostly prefer to work out of a case

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I just received my Lowepro SlingShot 100. I think it will work great (don't know yet because my D50 is still not here yet - long story)...

I like this bag because I'll be able to be active with it. It's a nice compact backpack with nice padding and a waterproof cover, so for outdoor stuff, it'll be great.

I'd still like to look at getting a Crumpler bag, because they are very nice as well, but for now, my LP will do just fine.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Thirding the Crumpler Million Dollar Home line. I have a 6 million dollar home and absolutely adore it. It deceptively holds a lot more than it seems like it should. At the moment I use it to carry my XTi, 50/1.8, 17-40/4L, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6, Gorillapod SLR Zoom + 484RC2, Giottos rocket blower, filters, hoods, and other little trinkets like spare memory cards, bibles and usb cables.

movieman76

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help with this. I ultimately ended up getting the Lowepro Slingshot 100. Its perfect for my needs. With 3 young kids its easy to tote around and access the camera quickly when I need to. Thanks again!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

Mostly I jjust use a normal school type backpack and put lunch, water bottle, jacket and camera stuff all in there. I try to carry only one extra lens. I'l use a Domke "Wrap" around each piece of gear before putting in the backpack and I'll pack the jacket so it take any bumps...

I was going to start a thread to ask what people use when they're transporting their gear in a daypack or regular bag, but I think you may have answered me here. Is the 19" wrap big enough to put around a Canon 350D with battery grip and a lens that's longer than a 50 mm? I can't tell from the pics on the Tiffen site.

I use a Domke F-6 when I need a real camera bag, but I like to have my camera with me most of the time, and that means wrapping it in something and putting it in whatever bag I have that day. Is a Domke wrap the best solution?

kodiak

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
id add my vote for the lowepro slingshot 100aw
(id waited for sometime for something like this, as i got fed up with having to stop, and faff around fishing my camera out of my lowepro mini trekker before. )

i can get a 20d with lens fitted (up to 200mm) + 2 other lens (or 1 lens + flash (580ex))

great for day/day and short hikes ( < 4 hours)
i.e. where you only need a camera + a few other bits and pieces

+ve = access to camera, doesnt look like camera bag
-ve = if it gets heavy, the weight is all on one shoulder (only an issue if worn for hours on end)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.