Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The tiny, dirt-cheap bag I picked up when I first bought my D40 just isn't cutting it anymore. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money, but I'm looking for something reasonable that will hold:

- Nikon D40 with Nikkor 18-55mm lens
- Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens w/ hood
- A couple filters and a small remote
- A few memory cards and their cases
- Space for a 50mm prime in the future

I would like a "quick draw" formfactor, where I can open the top flap and there's my camera, facing down, ready to be grabbed. This one looks promising and has high ratings. Any other recommendations?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
The Lowepro SlingShot models might be of interest, most likely the 100 or 200.

I am looking at them but haven't been into a store to really see how good they are.

Guess we also need to know do you prefer back pack style or over the shoulder only.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The Lowepro SlingShot models might be of interest, most likely the 100 or 200.

I am looking at them but haven't been into a store to really see how good they are.

Guess we also need to know do you prefer back pack style or over the shoulder only.

I'm not particularly sold on either one at this point, but I think I'd prefer shoulder so I can quickly reach down and grab the camera. I'm not a big fan of backpacks.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm looking at the Tamrac bags, most specifically the Velocity series featured on their home page.

http://www.tamrac.com/

I don't have a need for one that big, I'm actually getting the Velocity 5x since my needs are small.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
http://photojojo.com/content/guides/how-to-choose-a-camera-bag/

I have a Tamrac Adventure 9 Series in Camo and it's great! It holds my camera, extra lens, remote, filters, memory cards, and it has a place for my laptop, and it also as an upper opening so i can store maps, etc.

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

they have a new sling pack called the Velocity if thats what you are looking for...

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

Good luck in your choice, I definitely recommend Tamrac, they are very durable

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I'll sell you my lowepro Slingshot 300 for dirt cheap. It's been used for one trip, and I have no need for it anymore. It's a great bag and hold's a TON of camera equip. Also, has a weather cover that you can pull out for rain.

Lowepro_Slingshot300AW.jpg

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm looking at the Tamrac bags, most specifically the Velocity series featured on their home page....

kkat and ipodtoucher, thanks for the Tamrac recommendation! Both the Velocity 7x and the Express 7 look really good to me, and they're in the right price range. I'll definitely be considering those. Right now I'm leaning toward the Express 7...I like the way it looks, and the last review on the page is interesting -- that guy has the exact same equipment set as me, as well as plans for a prime in the future, and says it all fits perfectly.

I'll sell you my lowepro Slingshot 300 for dirt cheap...[/IMG]

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it...but that looks like way more bag than I need :cool:

MacIllini

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2006
West Coast
Lowepro Slingshot 200

i have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 and I am quite satisfied with it.

it's not a traditional backpack and has an easy access opening direct to the camera without needing to remove the bag from the shoulder. worth a look

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I really like my Velocity 8x bag - but it's a bit large for the OP's needs. However even the 8x is a lot smaller than a backpack.

Not to mention the Velocity bags are sling/shoulder and in my case the 5x can also be a hip.

Makes it easier to get camera out. Backpacks are a bit clunky if you need to quickly get your camera out. I like them, but I need quick access too for our disney trip. Maybe when my lens armada grows, I'll look at the tamrac backpacks for perm bag for my canon. But for now, the velocity series is the way to go IMO.

Plus as your equipment grows, the price is good enough that it won't hurt the wallet to upgrade to a bigger bag, and still have a good bag for extra equipment.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Some considerations

A few points, perhaps not exactly what the OP specified, but worth thinking about for others: comfort, safety, utility.

First, any sling-type one strap or shoulder strap bag can get very uncomfortable in the long run, especially on slightly longer hikes or daytrips. Even just wandering around a city taking photos can tire out your shoulder/neck when you have only one strap. That's why a backpack type bag with two shoulder straps is actually superior.

Second, consider safety. There are two issues here. One, you don't want a bag that screams "there's a camera here, please rob me!" For that reason I avoid the obvious looking "camera bag" and avoid the usual black/grey colors. A single strap is again a handicap here - one cut with a knife and the robber is running away before you can catch him. The other issue is theft when you don't see. Let's say you are in the subway that's packed. Or even going through a crowd - you won't believe how skilled some pickpocket type thieves are. Most top or side "easy access" bags are vulnerable here.

Third, you want something that's relatively easy to access, has enough room, but is not too big, and has enough padding and rain protection.

With this in mind, I have my eye on the Lowepro Flipside (comes in different sizes). It's a backpack (comfort), it doesn't scream "camera bag", it has a unique access feature where you can only open it from the side that's against your back (you rotate the bag and it hangs at waist level in front of you like a table, then you unzip the back for access to your stuff). It has a special place for a tripod. It seems well made and offers enough padding. Here's a video of a demo (I'm not affiliated with Lowepro in any way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAOb3GjVcQ

Again, I haven't actually tried it out as yet, but plan on buying it later this month, at which point I can give a fuller report - I just thought I'd throw this out as food for thought :) Incidentally, here's a site for camera bags, with user reviews, including a user review of the Flipside:

http://www.cambags.com/camera_mainpage.htm

Hopefully, someone finds this useful!

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I like my Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. It is very comfortable to wear (wide strap), it doesn't look like a camera bag (at least not as much as the other bags or holsters), and is spacious enough for what I own (Digital Rebel XT + Kit lens + 50mm f/1.8 + Tokina 12-24 f/4 with the hood reversed, plus additional memory cards, two filters and the camera charger). And I can get the camera in and out very easily (the velcro does make some noise, though).

You can go with the 6 or 7 Million Dollar Home if you need to carry more stuff.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I would like a "quick draw" formfactor, where I can open the top flap and there's my camera, facing down, ready to be grabbed.

Problem with camera facing down is it does take more room in your bag.
However, by messing with the inserts on my Lowepro Nova 4 I manage to get my Eos 5D and battery grip in with no problems.

nova4.jpg

As well as the 5D I also fit a 70-200, 580 MkII flash and still have a space for another lens. The pocket at the back (covered by the top flap in the picture) can hold a book. The top flap can hold a fair amount of bits (for me 4 AA cells, 2 spare Eos Batteries and numerous memory cards. The front pocket normally hold my phones and assorted bits.

The bag is a bit battered now, but I've been using for the last 2 years (nearly every day).

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Just wanted to bring the discussion to its end...I wound up ordering a Tamrac Velocity 7x for $60 from Amazon. It arrived today, and I loaded everything into it and carried it around for a bit. So far I really like it! It's compact, and deceptively roomy.

In the main compartment I've got my D40 with 18-55mm kit lens, and the Nikon 55-200 VR lens (with hood), with room for another lens of similar size to the 55-200 or a couple of smaller ones (a fast prime is next on my shopping list, and it will definitely accommodate that). In the front and other various zippered pockets I've stashed two additional memory cards, two 52mm filters, a tripod mounting plate, the Nikon ML-L3 remote, and a USB cable. There's still tons of room left for other odds and ends.

I also really like how I can carry it different ways; it works slung over my shoulder or across my body (backpack style), and there's a waist-strap to connect if you're doing some serious hiking. I think this bag will serve me well for quite awhile. Thanks for all the recommendations!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Just wanted to bring the discussion to its end...I wound up ordering a Tamrac Velocity 7x for $60 from Amazon. It arrived today, and I loaded everything into it and carried it around for a bit. So far I really like it! It's compact, and deceptively roomy.

In the main compartment I've got my D40 with 18-55mm kit lens, and the Nikon 55-200 VR lens (with hood), with room for another lens of similar size to the 55-200 or a couple of smaller ones (a fast prime is next on my shopping list, and it will definitely accommodate that). In the front and other various zippered pockets I've stashed two additional memory cards, two 52mm filters, a tripod mounting plate, the Nikon ML-L3 remote, and a USB cable. There's still tons of room left for other odds and ends.

I also really like how I can carry it different ways; it works slung over my shoulder or across my body (backpack style), and there's a waist-strap to connect if you're doing some serious hiking. I think this bag will serve me well for quite awhile. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Awsome!!!!!

I still haven't ordered my bag. I'm still using a 19xx (less than 1980) bag that I inherited with an old Canon SLR 35mm and that is getting on my nerves.

I need my new bag!

Congrats!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.