Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
I'm looking at slingshot 100/200 fastpack 200/250.
not sure which one..
i have a d60 with 18-55mm, 55-200, and 35mm. maybe getting a flash. later on.

I want a compact non bulky bag that will keep all my gear.

Afterthecalm

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
I use a Igloo Playmate Maxcold fabric cooler. It doesn't advertise that I have a Nikon D80, plus my lenses, and has sleeves, and several pockets, so that I can seperate my various items.

Plus when I'm not working it doubles as a beer cooler.

I get teased alot, from everything to it being called a heart transplant bag to "What's for lunch today?"

I'm broke and can't afford good gear..now.

So I do with what I got.

Probably not the answer you were looking for :)

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
If you want a stylish messenger-styled bag that doesn't scream "camerabag" to everyone, consider Crumpler Million Dollar Home series. I have the 7, but seems like the 6 will do for you.

dL

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Tamrac has good bags, so does Lowepro, but DONT whatever you to DONT get a Quantaray, i got mine when i got my D50, i just left it in the closet to store my camera at home and its ripped up from the bare minimum usuage of that. VERY LOW QUALITY!!!

but i love tamrac

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I have a sling - I hate it. It's annoying to open, so usually I leave it on the ground unzipped so I can switch lenses out during a shoot, I just know how to pick it and cradle it when I need to move it.

Last family shoot I did the dad was kind enough and decided to move my bag... but my $800 135 F2L fell right out and landed on the cement. The cap took all the beating, nothing cracked and it's fine but still. SECOND time someone else decided to be nice and move my bag and have that lens fall out.

I think it's a worthless bag. The 'sling' feature sucks too, all it's good for is pulling your camera out cause if you have to open it to change a lens then it's top open leaning towards the ground and it all just falls out. :confused:

I've got all my gear in a laptop messenger bag by Ogio now that I've neglected for a few years - works great for my setup. Nothing falls out, plenty of room, holds my laptop and my reflector, and my camera, and lenses, and my HOODS, which bag makers seem to neglect in their creation equations.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Tamrac has good bags, so does Lowepro, but DONT whatever you to DONT get a Quantaray, i got mine when i got my D50, i just left it in the closet to store my camera at home and its ripped up from the bare minimum usuage of that. VERY LOW QUALITY!!!

but i love tamrac

Well oddly I got a Quantaray 6 years ago and it just died on me. The strap hook broke and nothing can really be done short of sewing it into the bag to save it. I used it when I didn't have to run around with a bag as it was bulky and a reporter style, but not very flexible.

I think bags are real personal and you'll ultimately buy a few before you settle on one. I have found the ultimate travel bag but it lacks much space for more than one body and a few lenses (or a couple lenses and a flash). However, it was awesome while walking around Chicago.

I need a new reporter-style bag myself but for now I'm using my Lowepro Fastpack.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHpDh_VU9M

I had that one for a while - the Kata Dr-467. Held everything nicely including a laptop if you needed it. I eventually sold it though because I found it getting little use since I was stuck with school. I have a Crumpler 5 million dollar home that holds my D80, sb400, and 18-105mm nicely. Will be upgrading soon though because I just got some more gear!

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Another vote for Crumpler. I've got a 5 million dollar home, which works great for my XSi w/ 18-55 and 10-22, with space for another small lens or a flash. The 6 is probably a better size for your gear, especially if you get a flash.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think I've got 5 or 6 camera bags now. Every one of them has some shortcoming. For walking around I think my favorite is the Tamrac Velocity 8x, which is a sling type that opens away from you (for some reason the previous iteration of this bag opened with the hinge towards you, which is just plain stupid). Holds an amazing amount, and makes it easy to get to your camera fast while keeping it safe and secure. The main shortcoming of the Tamrac is it's not the most comfortable bag in the world after a few hours.

DAM-Photography

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
Ive got 2. The Lowepro Trekker AW II for travel and the lowepro Flipside 300 for everything else. Love their product line.

catalyst11

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Mpls
I have the Kata Sensitivity V. I love it personally. It fits my 40D w/grip, 70-200 2.8L, Tamron 17-50, notebook & charger, all my CF cards, lens pen, camera charger, WD Digital Passport and other miscellaneous things.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
I'm currently using a Slingshot 200, and I like it a lot. For me it fits my camera with a 16-80 lens, a 50mm, 10-20mm, 70-300mm and flash, no problem (i rarely carry all those, but they fit). I've also often got a film camera (OM4 or Bessa R2, so nothing huge), in the top compartment.

I've heard people complain of the slingshots being uncomfortable, but I haven't found this so far - but then I have only carried it around for a couple of hours. I'm not sure I'd want to do some serious walking with it.

When I am out for awhile I just use a normal rucksack though. Not as quick to access, and I do kind of worry about the lenses, but it does work pretty darn well (I think mine is around 40L, one large compartment, two smaller, and one slot for a laptop).

Not sure if that helps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.