Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ste1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Hey everyone,
Not sure if this will be appropriate to ask since most of you probably use SLR or Interchangeable lens cameras, however I would like advice on a good compact camera for me to buy.

Although I don't want an SLR or separate lenses etc,
I do want as good image quality from a compact camera as you can get.
Well maybe not the BEST, but something that will look good, unlike the very cheap options.

I'm not too brilliant at selecting the right white balance, iso, and all the other settings, so something that is simple, yet still good images would be great.

So I'm asking can any of you enlighten me as to some of the best options available, budget isnt too much of an issue, size needs to be fairly compact, basically not the size of an SLR lol.

One camera I just came across was a sony T series camera ( TX9 I think) and that looked okay, but the lens looks really small so doubtful of the quality.

any ideas much appreciated.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Best thing you can do is play around with different cameras in different stores - sometimes, the same camera in different stores, until you find one that works best for you. The biggest issue I had/have with P&S cameras is shutter lag (time it takes from you pressing the shutter release until the camera actually takes the photo).

Also, check out http://www.dpreview.com for some excellent, detailed camera reviews. They have just about every camera you can think of.

Fora P&S, I went with a Panasonic TZ-5A; it works in a pinch, and it was definitely more affordable, but I still prefer my DSLR. Of course, I also bought before Canon started putting out P&S cameras that will allow you to keep the RAW image (as opposed to JPG/TIFF), but for the price, I may as well just buy another lens for my DSLR.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I personally have never been too pleased with Sony Cameras. Infact I have a Sony T-90 which i'm trying to get rid of.

I would recommend you stick with a Canon or Panasonic for point and shoot. The Canons, on average, give you very good pictures. The Panasonics with the Leica lense are very good too.

The Canon has the SD1400 which is a good camera if ur on a tight budget.

Look it up. It's got decent specs, is small in size and does a good job of taking pictures!

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
(1) What's your budget?

(2) What's "too big" for you? There are some cameras, such as the Panasonic GF1, that are smaller than SLRs but still quite large compared to the average, say, Canon Powershot. Does it have to fit in a pocket, or are you fine having it strapped around your neck/stuffed in a carrying case?

For compacts, Panasonic, Canon and Sony have been good, in my experience.

ste1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
El cabong : Budget around £300, GF1 is too big due to the big lens, ideally pocket size would be great.

The new dude: checked up on that camera, specs look good, but according to CNET review, "Plus, shooting performance is run of the mill, as is battery life."
This puts me off a little, as obviously i want good performance/battery.
maybe that is the same issue with all point and shoots though :(

a.jfred: good idea, but unfortunately not many great places to look at cameras near to me, and often some that do sell cameras, do not have functioning models or they are all locked in cabinets.
and i will check the website for good reviews thanks.

ste1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
taking the advice of thenewdude, i looked at the sd1400 and then from there advanced to what appears to be the better model the sd4000is.

This looks like a good camera to me, however then again i might not know alot about them.

what does everyone think of the sd4000is (ixus 300)

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
taking the advice of thenewdude, i looked at the sd1400 and then from there advanced to what appears to be the better model the sd4000is.

This looks like a good camera to me, however then again i might not know alot about them.

what does everyone think of the sd4000is (ixus 300)

Wow, yea your budget is MUCH higher than what i thought. At 300 pounds you are definitely better off with the SD4000. It's a MUCH better camera and the f/2.0 lens is very quick.

ste1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I had a samsung before, and it was a good camera. I sold it to help fund a G9. Look around for a used G series. Mine was bad ace. You probably get a used G9 for like $250-$300. I think the new G will be announced in the next 4-6 weeks. Usually every August they are announced/released.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
The G11 (current G series model) is an excellent camera but also very bulky. The OP wanted something easy to carry and the SD4000 is very easy to carry. Plus the SD4000 has a f/2.0 where as the G11 is f/2.8.

The sensor on the G11 is better, but if I was willing to carry a camera the size of G11, i rather just carry a DSLR....

Oh, and I also wanted to add....
The G11 doesn't do HD video whereas the SD4000 will do 720p HD video. Has super slowmo option, fisheye option and a few more "perks" over the G11. Plus a massive 3.5" touch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.