Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi guys,

I got a canon xsi a few weeks ago and this is my first dslr. I also have a canon sd630 P&S. I am new to photography and I feel like the dslr is inconvenient to carry around. I am a casual photographer, take pics of family, vacations, indoor parties etc. I am still within the return period and I feel like I should return the dslr and get a G11 or S90 or something.

dslr have great IQ but I think I am not getting them. Also, buying lens adds to the cost, and with G11 I get 5X zoom.

So should I return the dslr or how can I get a lens which covers wide to decent zoom without breaking the bank.

here is my flickr stream if anyone is interested and can see how I am not being able to get the best out of the dslr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sid369/

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
A DSLR is certainly inconvenient to carry around. So if what you want is a pocket camera that can be on you at all times, then perhaps a DSLR is not the right type of camera for you. Granted, there are some DSLRs on the market now that are much smaller than an XSi, but if want any kind of zoom lens, they'll still be larger than a G11. However, would you really carry the G11 around all the time?

As for getting the most out of your camera: it does require some reading and practice. If you decide to keep the camera, you can get lots of good advice on this forum to help you advance your skills. There are several very good books on the market to help people like you, and folks here will happily recommend them.

I think the first decision you need to make is whether you prefer convenience or quality. If you will never want to bring your DSLR anywhere, then it doesn't matter how much you can or can't get out of it.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
.... I am a casual photographer, take pics of family, vacations, indoor parties etc. ..... [/url]

That's not really something you need a DSLR for.
And you'll certainly get better pictures at an event if you have a G11 with you because it was light enough to take, than if you don't have a DSLR with you because its too big/heavy :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
All of your photos would look better if they had been shot with a dslr. The question seems to revolve around convince, and if that is really limiting for you then the lighter less complex camera is going to be better for you. The Canon G11 is only 5 oz. lighter than the xsi and the prices are comparable. The xsi gives an upward path (lenses) without getting a new body. If you are sure you will never want more than you have, go with the G11 or comparable.

I have an xsi (my first dslr), but I still carry my Panasonic FS15 around. The xsi is a wonderful camera if you are serious about photography. Mine cost 450USD.

Dale

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
If you want image quality and a small size, you might consider the Panasonic GF1 (or any other camera built around the micro 4/3 sensor). Granted, it might end up costing you more than the DSLR, but you can't overlook the image quality and small size.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Leica X1 if you want quality, but you get a fixed 35mm lens. I don't mind that though, maybe will help me in composition like any prime does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.