Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
So, my girlfriend wants a new point and shoot camera. I have a little bit of photography knowledge but not a ton. She would really like a camera with 5x zoom or up and not too bulky. We've been looking at the Canon A720is and the Sony DSC H3. The Sony is on the upper end of our budget at $249-$299, we'd prefer to keep it closer to $200 for the camera. We've looked at various other cameras but those two have stood out so far. She says she wants a camera with some manual controls, but I don't know think this will be terribly important really, she'll just point and shoot it the majority of the time. Any comments on the above cameras would be great, and I would also appreciate any other cameras that you guys would recommend we look at. Thanks!

thinkband

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
So, my girlfriend wants a new point and shoot camera. I have a little bit of photography knowledge but not a ton. She would really like a camera with 5x zoom or up and not too bulky. We've been looking at the Canon A720is and the Sony DSC H3. The Sony is on the upper end of our budget at $249-$299, we'd prefer to keep it closer to $200 for the camera. We've looked at various other cameras but those two have stood out so far. She says she wants a camera with some manual controls, but I don't know think this will be terribly important really, she'll just point and shoot it the majority of the time. Any comments on the above cameras would be great, and I would also appreciate any other cameras that you guys would recommend we look at. Thanks!

Hello,

I have no experiences with either of those two particular models, but I have experiences with both Sony P&S's and Canon P&S's. I found the Sony to be less intuitive than the Canon and often the Sony is more expensive because you are supposed to believe that you are paying for the Sony name. It should be simple to just go after the Canon model you mentioned because its cheaper. Canon makes exceptional cameras and you really cannot go wrong. If you want to see how Cameras are rated/reviewed some places to check out are dpreview.com and cnet.com. Don't take too much what the actual review takes into heart, but what other people have to say.

-John

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Based on what I've read and opinions from friends, I suggest you check out these cameras:

Of those three, I would go with the Casio. I've learned to appreciate the convenience of having a good small camera with me all the the time.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I love my Panasonic Lumix fx30 (now fx35), but that is $300, so its a little out of your price range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.