Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys!

In August, I'll be flying to Tokyo to attend a university over the next four years. During my time in Japan, I'm likely to find a lot to photograph, and because of that I'd like to purchase a decent digicam.

As far as brand goes, I'd prefer something from Canon or Nikon, seeing how they're both extremely reputable manufacturers, but if another company provides a particularly compelling offering, I wouldn't mind purchasing it instead. I would, however, like to avoid Kodak if at all possible - I purchased a 4MP camera from them 5 or so years ago and it did a lot to sour my opinion of the company.

The camera needs to follow these specs:
- Uses an SD card. I'm also planning to purchase a 15" Macbook Pro, so it'd be nice to be able to use the machine's included SD slot (it's capable of at least SDHC, not sure about higher).

- Needs to be somewhat affordable. I won't have tons of money, so spending over $400-$500US on a camera may not be reasonable.

- Has decent manual controls. While I'll be shooting in auto mode for the most part, being able to change focus and such would come in handy sometimes.

- Has a nice build and feel to it. I hate any device that feels like a really cheap plastic box.

- Of course, this puppy needs to take great pictures. Minimum noise/grain and good colors would be great.

Being able to change lenses would be a bonus, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford the lenses themselves :p

A different forum recommended the Panasonic Lumix LX3 to me. It indeed looks like a great camera, but it's on the pricey side... I could buy a Nikon D40 kit for about the same amount.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
There are a couple of threads asking similar questions, comparing low end Nikon and Canon dSLRs. If new ones are too expensive, you might want to consider the same ones used or refurbished.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I was going to recommend the following:

Nikon D40
Canon G9 (or G10, but I believe the G9 is awesome and a less expensive)
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I recently went to Japan for a 2 week holiday, took a P5100 Nikon Coolpix, a bit slow on the point and shoot, but i racked up over 500 pics, now have a D60 and want to go back to Japan to get better pics :)

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
how bout the new olympus ep1 whatever it is when it comes out next week.. im a canon pro shooter through and through but I really would love to have a small interchangeable lens camera in a P&S size!

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
how bout the new olympus ep1 whatever it is when it comes out next week.. im a canon pro shooter through and through but I really would love to have a small interchangeable lens camera in a P&S size!

Don't Olympus cameras almost always have inferior image quality compared to Canon, Nikon, etc?

Also, to owners of D40s/D60s - how portable is it? Is it a pain to carry around? I've heard from some that it can be really annoying.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
since you are going for 4 years I would suggest buying it in Japan so you have a local warranty as you will spend more time over there than in the USA, also it is one less thing to carry on the plane :)

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
since you are going for 4 years I would suggest buying it in Japan so you have a local warranty as you will spend more time over there than in the USA, also it is one less thing to carry on the plane :)

Couldn't agree more! You will be in Tokyo too! Probably the best place in the world to buy electronics.
Head down to Akihabara and check out the stores (there are hundreds), the bigger places Yodobashi/Bic Camera etc.. might be a little more expensive, but pick up a point card and you should be able to get around 10% back.
Also haggle with them and tell them you found the same camera somewhere else cheaper and they should match the price. (about the only place in Japan you can do this.)

Also check out the second hand places, you should be able to pick up 'used' lenses and things for next to nothing. ('used' in the pre-owned sense of the word, most of it will be in new/nearly new condition.)

You should be able to pick up a (new) D40 with kit lens and a 35mm 1.8f together for around ¥60,000 (~600 bucks?), if not a bit cheaper.

I have the d40 and for an entry level camera it is great. I also have the canon powershot s2, which isn't a bad camera, very versatile. The SX10 I imagine is very good too, but I would definitely go for a DSLR, the price difference isn't that great and the difference in quality is huge.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
No matter which camera you get, you should get it in Japan. Even better, get a used camera in Japan. Regular shops have a large selection of used cameras of all classes for all types of prices.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Is the correct answer.

What better excuse to browse the electronics nirvana that is Akihabara district?

Good luck and enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.