Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I really like the D90 and I want to upgrade my Digital Rebel XT, but I have about 3 lenses for my canon already, I have a 60mm macro, the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 70-300 mm telephoto lens.

Should I just sell all my canon lenses and the xt and buy the D90, or wait for something from Canon and just sell the xt and keep the telephoto and macro.

What I really like about the D90 is the live view, and the ability to take videos. (even though I doubt I will use that feature much)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, if you look past the generation of camera, your current camera is about as close to the D90 as anything Canon is going to make (it seems like Canon and Nikon both try hard not to line their cameras up too closely in terms of features). If you're happy with your current camera's control layout, functionality, and the quality of your lenses, my advice is to simply be patient - the features it lacks will almost certainly be included in the next version of the lower-end Canon (500D or whatever it ends up being called). But you will probably be waiting a little while, since they just released the upgrade this summer (didn't they?).

BTW in the replies you get, remember that some Nikon fans think the lowest-end Nikon (D40/D60) is equivalent to the 40D/50D, while some Canon fans think the low-end Canons are better than the D300... :D So you may have to take things with a grain of salt.

Edit: Doesn't the most recent 450D and 1000D have live view?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Beyond video capture a 450D or whatever it's called in the US (XSi?) has live view. The D90 video capture is a little bit rubbish anyway...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
The 40d is the closest price wise, and feature wise, but they're targeted to slightly different markets. Canon's line is more "defined", while Nikon blurs the lines between consumer and professional more frequently.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Except for the macro, you don't have any lenses that are `worth' anything. In your situation, you can easily switch manufacturers, if you so desire. Although I would caution to switch just because of one or two features. I'd try the camera and see how you like it. If you like it, buy it. You're not married to one manufacturer.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
My two cents...

I'm a pro nikon user, but I wouldn't recommend switching camps lightly. Your current lens set up matches the quality of the XT pretty well. You...I assume...have gotten comfortable with Canon ergonomics, etc. If you want to dive deeper into photography...stepping up to a 40D or used 30D would be very worthwhile imo. Especially if you added some better glass, for example a 17-40 and/or 70-200/f4.

Obviously, the 40D will not give you video capture, but does have live view I believe. Since I have zero desire for video capture in my cams, my opinions on that topic are useless to you.

On the D90 Nikon side...it's a sweet cam...very feature rich and has some of the latest stuff like video capture too. Great value imo.

Although I could give a long list of reasons why I prefer Nikon..again, I would encourage you to avoid switching camps every time one company comes out with a new cam that beats the other in specs. This is especially true of MP and noise comparisons. The MP wars and pixel peeping at iso6400 are just silly. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for better tech performance, it just gets WAY too much emphasis imo.

Bottom line: You will lose a LOT of money in the process of repeatedly switching camps and gain nothing in terms of actually improving your photography.

I'm not suggesting or saying you shouldn't switch...just want to encourage you to investigate and then commit to a system. Then you can focus on the art of photography.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
BTW in the replies you get, remember that some Nikon fans think the lowest-end Nikon (D40/D60) is equivalent to the 40D/50D, while some Canon fans think the low-end Canons are better than the D300... :D So you may have to take things with a grain of salt.

lol...a "grain of salt"??? You're being very kind. Such statements are just fanboi ignorance. Great that you pointed this out.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Every time either Canon or Nikon release a new camera it is the newest, until the other company releases a newer one. Switching brands every time can get to be expansive. But if you really have decided the Nikon is now and will reman the best company for you to stay with now is not to bad of a time to switch. You have only one high end lens. the kit and that f/5.6 zoom are kind of consummer level low price lenses. so it is not like you are having to sell off a $2,000 lens to switch brands.

Just be sure you are not going to be switch every year. Find a brand and stay with it.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
What do want your (current or future) camera to do for you? What I specifically mean by that question is - what kind of output do you need?

I'm a pro wedding/event photographer (check out the new studio in this thread :D) and shoot with a Nikon D2X as my primary. My partner shoots with a Canon 1Ds Mark II as his primary. Our equipment matches our needed output. We have the cash reserves for me to upgrade to the D3 and him, the Mark III, but the bottom line is that they're not going to increase our profits. I've become very familiar with both brands and they're both outstanding. In the end (as was mentioned) it's the glass you own that will limit you. Having fast primes or zooms with a fixed 2.8 can do a lot more for you than a new body. Again, I have to ask what your needs are in regard to output.

As far as a Canon with HDV capture, if $2700 is within your budget, there's no way you can go wrong with the EOS 5D Mark II. But this is probably more camera than you're looking for in regards to a D90 equivalent.

Pretty impressive specs though:

21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).

Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.

Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.

High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.

Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.

3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.

Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.

Compatible with over 60 Canon EF Lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Cameras are rarely comparable feature-wise, so I'd say a Nikon D90 and Canon 50D are comparable. For me, the most important thing about a camera is still image quality and the ability to quickly change my settings on the body. Any controls done through menus better be very easy to reach (like on my D300).

The Canon 50D and Nikon D90 are probably both comparable in these 2 aspects, so I'd say they're very near equal. I like the Nikon D90's camera body better (and I've used it.....very nice :)), but the Canon 50D's focus system may be better than the D90s (although its hard to judge what you see on paper) because it has more cross-type AF sensors.

I really did enjoy using the Nikon D90, and even thought in my head that it may be worth selling my D300 to get a D90 instead, as I'd probably earn a few hundred dollars from the sale for more lenses or something.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
What do want your (current or future) camera to do for you? What I specifically mean by that question is - what kind of output do you need?

I'm a pro wedding/event photographer (check out the new studio in this thread :D) and shoot with a Nikon D2X as my primary. My partner shoots with a Canon 1Ds Mark II as his primary. Our equipment matches our needed output. We have the cash reserves for me to upgrade to the D3 and him, the Mark III, but the bottom line is that they're not going to increase our profits. I've become very familiar with both brands and they're both outstanding. In the end (as was mentioned) it's the glass you own that will limit you. Having fast primes or zooms with a fixed 2.8 can do a lot more for you than a new body. Again, I have to ask what your needs are in regard to output.

As far as a Canon with HDV capture, if $2700 is within your budget, there's no way you can go wrong with the EOS 5D Mark II. But this is probably more camera than you're looking for in regards to a D90 equivalent.

Pretty impressive specs though:

21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).

Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.

Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.

High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.

Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.

3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.

Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.

Compatible with over 60 Canon EF Lenses and most EOS System accessories.

The 5D is a amazing camera but a little much for me, im a computer science major and photography is just a hobby, the main reason I want to update my XT is because the extremely small screen, and I would like to have something with live view because sometimes I just don't have my glasses with me and its really hard to manually focus things.

Im looking for a still image camera first, the video capture part is not too important but there are times when im out with my camera and I wish I could just take a quick few second video clip.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, so far right now though im kinda juggling my options between the XSI and the D90.

EDIT: Is SD the new standard for standard for lower end DSLR cameras? I just realized both the XSI and D90 use SD

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Im pretty sure im going to go with the D90 and sell my canon stuff, I took a look at the Nikon lenses and how much it would be for the camera, lenses, and accessories and the price seemed reasonable and I liked the lenses I seen.

Im going down to get hands on with one tomorrow to be sure I want to make the switch.

But if I do take the dive do you guys know a good place to sell my xt body and the lenses?

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Im pretty sure im going to go with the D90 and sell my canon stuff, I took a look at the Nikon lenses and how much it would be for the camera, lenses, and accessories and the price seemed reasonable and I liked the lenses I seen.

Im going down to get hands on with one tomorrow to be sure I want to make the switch.

But if I do take the dive do you guys know a good place to sell my xt body and the lenses?

Enjoy your Nikon D90. You won't regret it...great cam and value. I must say I'm enjoying this surge of new members joining the Nikon clan. :)

As far as selling the xt...check out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Enjoy your Nikon D90. You won't regret it...great cam and value. I must say I'm enjoying this surge of new members joining the Nikon clan. :)

As far as selling the xt...check out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/

well not quite there yet but almost :p, I used a few Nikon SLRs in the past but I still need to make sure this one feels right.

Also anyone know on the quality of the kit lens? Im not sure if I should just go with the body or buy the kit.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
well not quite there yet but almost :p, I used a few Nikon SLRs in the past but I still need to make sure this one feels right.

Also anyone know on the quality of the kit lens? Im not sure if I should just go with the body or buy the kit.

If you can get the kit with either the 16-85VR or the 18-105VR, I'd say go for it. Back when I bought a D70, it came with the predecessor of the 16-85 - the 18-70. That was (and still is) a very nice lens - a cut above your typical kit lens.

If you're talking about the 18-55, I'd say just get the body. That lens is quite sharp, but is designed pretty much for AF-only use.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
If you can get the kit with either the 16-85VR or the 18-105VR, I'd say go for it. Back when I bought a D70, it came with the predecessor of the 16-85 - the 18-70. That was (and still is) a very nice lens - a cut above your typical kit lens.

If you're talking about the 18-55, I'd say just get the body. That lens is quite sharp, but is designed pretty much for AF-only use.

the kit im looking at comes with the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens, I think ill just go with it

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I think you'll be very happy with a Nikon system, and it sounds like the kit lens will cover your needs.

Im looking for a still image camera first, the video capture part is not too important but there are times when im out with my camera and I wish I could just take a quick few second video clip.

Although I also don't care much for the ability to capture video with a DSLR, hey it's there and it doesn't hurt anything. I put together slideshow presentations in FCP to be viewed at the reception of weddings. They include everything you would expect - baby shots, growing up, etc. Then the last portion contains images of the couple together, including shots taken from their engagement sitting (these sessions are not professionally recorded unless they pay for a 'lovestory' to be done). If I could get some video from my camera of them walking down the beach, twirling, etc., it would be nice footage to include in their presentation, without extra cost. I might just sell my Fuji S3 (my third backup that barely gets used anymore) and get a D90 for this very reason.

Anyway, when you get the camera, I hope you have great time shooting with it. If you ever feel that you want to turn your 'hobby' into something more, don't hesitate to contact me if you would like some pointers. I think it was Confucius who said 'If you find a job you enjoy, you'll never work another day in your life". Personally, it's been a long time since I 'worked'.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
well got it today, so far I love it, I cant believe how much of a better quality it is, and how much better the pictures look. Still having a bit of a problem getting used to all the advanced settings and the different locations and names of the functions on this camera compared to the XT.

Toniola

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
720p with interchangeable lenses doesn't sound like rubbish to me. Personally, I'll be upgrading to the D90 from a D40, and a lot of that has to do with the option to capture motion video, however, there are quite a few additional improvements which appear to be fantastic features in the D90. Possibly the 3" monitor...D-Lighting, etc.

Beyond video capture a 450D or whatever it's called in the US (XSi?) has live view. The D90 video capture is a little bit rubbish anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.