Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
I was taking some long exposure shots with my sony A200 and kit lens. I selected the 30 second exposure time in shutter priority and while the shutter was locked up, i heard the camera making a sort of mechanical hissing (maybe from some sort of motor?) noise.

is this normal as I cannot imagine anything moving inside the camera to make this noise?

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I am unable to reproduce any noise on the a350. Does happen every time?

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
yes. It is very Very quiet and happens all the time.

I'm wandering if keeping the shutter open involves a motor of some sort to be active all the while the shutter is open?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Could it be some sort of image stabilization/ vibration reduction activating in the middle of the shot?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Could maybe be the VR as suggested, or it could be a little solenoid or something making a bit of a buzz.

a350

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I did a 30 second with the IS off and camera is silent with IS on camera was making all kinds of noise, with ear to camera.
If you are on a tripod shooting turn off IS. It will look for movement if there is none and actually create some.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
that is really crazy. I would never have thought something that is is helpful can work against you! Is the IS in body? I am assuming as someone pointed out that the sensor moves...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.