Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2006
So I am looking for a digital camera, and seem to have decided on this one, but wanted some feedback from here.

I am looking at the Canon Powershot G9. I don't need a removable lens, RAW format is nice but not necessary. I really like the image stabilization, high quality movie clip shooting, and burst mode (8 frames per second with manual focus). Also, it is fairly compact, and takes rather good quality photos.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera, or can recommend me a comparable one, and if so, why over this one?

Thanks

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
So I am looking for a digital camera, and seem to have decided on this one, but wanted some feedback from here.

I am looking at the Canon Powershot G9. I don't need a removable lens, RAW format is nice but not necessary. I really like the image stabilization, high quality movie clip shooting, and burst mode (8 frames per second with manual focus). Also, it is fairly compact, and takes rather good quality photos.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera, or can recommend me a comparable one, and if so, why over this one?

Thanks

I've heard decent things about that camera, but don't have first hand knowledge in what you're looking for... I would imagine you've already checked out the reviews over at Amazon?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.. I don't need a removable lens, RAW format is nice but not necessary. I really like the image stabilization, high quality movie clip shooting, and burst mode (8 frames per second with manual focus). Also, it is fairly compact, and takes rather good quality photos.

When it comes right down to it many of the mid level point and shots are alike. The quote above describes a Nikon, Canon or Panasonic. They all offer those features. If you ask me which is "best", I like this one:
http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_3/

But Panasonic makes one that is nearly identical for a bit less.
One thing I like is the native 16:9 format sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.