Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aWaldo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
This is an issue which has been bugging me for ages but I can't find a solution...

Why are all my photos, videos, downloaded images from the net, Facebook memes and other app photos all saved to the 'Camera Roll' folder?

Is there a way to keep these images separate, especially downloaded items? The worst part is that even when I manually add these photos to separate/new folders, they all still stay in Camera Roll... Deleting them from Camera Roll will also delete them from their new folders. Wtf?

Why isn't Camera Roll JUST for camera photos? Android have had this right for 5+ years, but there seems to be no easy fix on iOS. Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

Reactions: VictoryHighway

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That's just how iOS does things. I don't really like it either. It all goes back to the lack of a true user accessible file system.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Why are all my photos, videos, downloaded images from the net, Facebook memes and other app photos all saved to the 'Camera Roll' folder?

Is there a way to keep these images separate, especially downloaded items? The worst part is that even when I manually add these photos to separate/new folders, they all still stay in Camera Roll...

You're getting hung up on the name "camera roll". And actually, if you turn on iCloud for Photos, it changes to "All Photos", which makes more sense. It also automatically creates "Screenshots" and "Videos" folders; and of course you're able to manually create custom folders, and add whatever photos you like to them.

Having one folder that has everything in it also makes sense in light of searching, which will become even more prominent in iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.