Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
I found some scratches on my iPhone 11 Pro Max cameras. On the Ultrawide one, there are 2 scratches on the lens.

I haven't noticed it, but likely it was scratched by the glass. I was trying to lean the phone on a glass of candle, and I clearly heard the camera scratching the glass. I wasn't worried too much since the lens are made by sapphire, but I was wrong.

Here are the pictures that I took under some very bright lights. The scratches are on the lens, while it looks like they are on the top of a "ring part (inside the lens)" which is flat.

Can't tell if it will affect the image quality. I briefly tried to hide the scratches using a piece of paper, but since it's hard to position and I don't want those papers to scratch my other cameras again, I can't really get accurate test results.

My questions:

1) Does it really gonna affect the quality of the photos? If so, I'm considering a return and purchase a new one; or, I will just leave it since we can't avoid accidental scratches forever and ever.

2) Since it was "physically damaged", is this phone returnable? The phone was purchased on 11/30/2019. Since it is during the holiday period, it can be returned until 1/8/2020.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6604.PNG
    IMG_6604.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6605.PNG
    IMG_6605.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6606.PNG
    IMG_6606.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6584.PNG
    IMG_6584.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 165

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
So your asking if you can return a phone that you damaged? How about taking some responsibility for your actions and just live with your careless mistake.. By the way, I see no scratches worth returning the phone for. Your photos won't look any different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.