Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Since the back camera takes so much real estate, anyone considering a screen protector for the camera? I will be using a case, but my last iPhone XS Max (never out of the case and never taken a hard fall), the camera had a hairline scratch that suddenly appeared right after I got the phone. It cost me the $99 accidental fee. I saw a bunch of screen protectors on amazon but don’t know if it’ll effect the quality of pictures or flash.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got a really good quality set from Amazon for my S10+ and overall everything was fine until I had taken photos at night with street lights in the photo. Then the light took on a star pointed shape. It was from smudges on the protectors. They don't have oleophobic coatings on them so it was a nightmare keeping this cover clean enough to not ruin any photos with a light source in the shot.

Then I risked stripping the oleophobic coating from the lens when I went to remove the lens protector.

So, overall I can't say I recommend them.

I vacuum the lint and grit out of my pockets and purses from time to time. In addition to laundering my jeans of course..

Reactions: AppleDior31

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I got a really good quality set from Amazon for my S10+ and overall everything was fine until I had taken photos at night with street lights in the photo. Then the light took on a star pointed shape. It was from smudges on the protectors. They don't have oleophobic coatings on them so it was a nightmare keeping this cover clean enough to not ruin any photos with a light source in the shot.

Then I risked stripping the oleophobic coating from the lens when I went to remove the lens protector.

So, overall I can't say I recommend them.

I vacuum the lint and grit out of my pockets and purses from time to time. In addition to laundering my jeans of course..

I never even thought about the coating. So it’s a no then it’s a no. I don’t want the pictures effected. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.