Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
So I have a sony dsc-h2 but no real experience with advanced digital cameras such as this one. how can i set it to keep the shutter open longer for example if i were trying to catch someone in motion and i wanted the picture to show the blur of their movement.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I have a sony dsc-h2 but no real experience with advanced digital cameras such as this one. how can i set it to keep the shutter open longer for example if i were trying to catch someone in motion and i wanted the picture to show the blur of their movement.

Motion blur does not take very long exposures. Strat with a 1/4 second exposure. Of course you will need to have a sturdy camera support like a big tripod.

Look at the affect you get at 1/4 second. Then if you want to double the effect use 1/2 second or 1/8 the reduce the blur by 1/2. with most camera you simply retate the dail to set the exposure but camera will have limits.

Some more advanced techniques require a stobe. The flash will frees the subject and the amient light will superimpose some motion blur.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Use shutter speed priority mode, indicated by "S" on the top dial. Once you select this you can increase or decrease the shutter speed using the horizontal wheel on the front grip. Once you turn the wheel to select the required shutter speed value, push the wheel inwards to lock it. The camera will select the appropriate aperture value to compensate over/under exposure.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Here is a link to a PDF of the manual. It's for the UK version, but I doubt there are significant differences. Also, a slightly less cursory Google search could probably reveal the US version. Enjoy.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Motion blur does not take very long exposures. Strat with a 1/4 second exposure. Of course you will need to have a sturdy camera support like a big tripod.

Look at the affect you get at 1/4 second. Then if you want to double the effect use 1/2 second or 1/8 the reduce the blur by 1/2. with most camera you simply retate the dail to set the exposure but camera will have limits.

Some more advanced techniques require a stobe. The flash will frees the subject and the amient light will superimpose some motion blur.

Flash will freeze the subject if the sync is a fast enough shutter speed, probably won't freeze a helicopter rotor, maybe not even spokes on a wheel.

You don't need anything nearly as slow as 1/4th sec. to give motion blur (1/20th sec will do fine for shooting people on a dance floor if you only want some motion blur, slower will give more blur), but it depends on how slow the subject in motion is moving and how much motion you want. Best to use burst mode too, then you'll more likely get a preferred shot from the sequence. Don't need a big tripod, anything other than something completely flimsy will work, and be lighterweight when traveling... unless you are subject to undue vibrations when taking the pictures, or perhaps windy/gusty conditions...in which case, you maybe out of luck even with a big/sturdy tripod if you are using a longer telephoto lens.

funny story...i forgot to bring the manual to college with me :)

Hey, that's not funny; write home and have it sent to you. D/l the manual, they suck in pdf format, it will take you forever to read through them...even if you have 3 30" ACD's with 2pgs per ACD...well it might go a little faster/easier with that, but a hard copy is much easily to flip back and forth through when you're trying to learn a lot of things that are new to you.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Hey, that's not funny; write home and have it sent to you. D/l the manual, they suck in pdf format, it will take you forever to read through them...even if you have 3 30" ACD's with 2pgs per ACD...well it might go a little faster/easier with that, but a hard copy is much easily to flip back and forth through when you're trying to learn a lot of things that are new to you.

Or you could download it and print it off. Either way, it's not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.