Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I was hoping if anyone could recommend a camera strap. I generally dislike having a strap on my cameras as it gets in the way too much. However occasionally it is useful to attach one for walking around without having a bag with you.

I'd like it to be quick-release, or at least speedy to completely remove from the camera, for example like Op-Tech's Pro Loop system.

However, I'd like it to be low-profile and light, not the thick neoprene type that Op-Tech produce. Lastly I don't want it screaming Nikon or Canon in large yellow letters! :rolleyes: :)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I was hoping if anyone could recommend a camera strap. I generally dislike having a strap on my cameras as it gets in the way too much. However occasionally it is useful to attach one for walking around without having a bag with you.

I'd like it to be quick-release, or at least speedy to completely remove from the camera, for example like Op-Tech's Pro Loop system.

However, I'd like it to be low-profile and light, not the thick neoprene type that Op-Tech produce. Lastly I don't want it screaming Nikon or Canon in large yellow letters! :rolleyes: :)

I can only recommend op-tech. Very comfortable. Light. And without the screaming canon advertising. The op-tech isn't think or heavy.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I have a RapidStrap and love it. It is not a traditional strap but it makes carrying easy. I dont carry a huge strap around my neck. There is a video on the site showing how it works.

Yarold

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
They don't make 'em like they used to...

They really don't make them like they used to, which is why I bought a vintage strap (ca. 1975?) off of eBay. It's quite wide (two inches), which I think is a crucial feature for comfort, but it's also very thin and made of natural fibers. It has thin wool tapestry on one side and a sort of velvety cloth on the other, so it breathes perfectly and is very soft and comfortable.

It also has metal attachments, which make it look "old school" enough that it doesn't scream DIGITAL to would-be thieves (and no it hasn't scratched my camera one bit).

I've noticed that there are sellers on eBay selling "Vintage Hippie Camera Straps" that are replicas of the original ones, but I wonder if those are made out of the same plastic-like fabrics that most other modern straps have.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Canon E1

I just bought the Canon E1 strap and I like it. I hardly ever wore my neck strap, but liked wrapping it around my wrist/hand for safety. This is exactly that, but you do need a Battery Grip to make it work. There are others out there that don't require a battery grip though. It doesn't get in the way at all.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I went through lots finding the perfect one, and I'm afraid to inform you that it's the Op/tech pro loop. I love it. Makes a day of shooting so much easier. Learn to love it :D

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I second the Rapid Strap. It makes carrying the camera much easier since it's securely attached and hangs close to your hip. You can swing it up much easier. One of the best things about it is that it attaches to the tripod socket, so you can carry carry the camera with the strap attached to the foot of bigger lenses. That gives a lot better balance, and you don't have to worry about stressing the camera's lens mount from carrying a camera/heavy lens by the body.

Do look at their video...http://www.blackrapid.com/video.php

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks for all the advice! :)

The R-Strap looks interesting. Although doesn't it stop you using a grip, as the metal tripod attachment would get in the way of your palm? I note in the video the cool looking guy never uses his grip in portrait shooting even though he's got one fitted to his Nikon, hmm.

I like the Op-Tech straps but find them overkill when using a D40-weight camera and smallish lenses. They don't pack down well into camera bags either. The Pro-Loop connectors are great though. If Op-Tech did a thinner, lighter Pro-Loop strap I'd be all over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.