Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
I'm looking for a new digital camera. I am not a photographer, I just want something to take with me to take pictures with. Anything over 3 megapixes is fine.

I want the smallest camera I can find. I want something I can throw in my pocket and take with me. But I also want something that takes decent pictures.

I've always loved the way Canon cameras reproduce color, so I'm partial to them at the moment. Also, I already have a 2GB SD card, so if I could find one that uses SD media that would be cool.

But above all... small!!!

Suggestions?

JNB

macrumors 604
I'm looking for a new digital camera. I am not a photographer, I just want something to take with me to take pictures with. Anything over 3 megapixes is fine.

I want the smallest camera I can find. I want something I can throw in my pocket and take with me. But I also want something that takes decent pictures.

I've always loved the way Canon cameras reproduce color, so I'm partial to them at the moment. Also, I already have a 2GB SD card, so if I could find one that uses SD media that would be cool.

But above all... small!!!

Suggestions?

I think to stay down to 3MP, it's have to be a phone! 4-6MP is pretty common with point 'n' shoots, 6+MP for DSLRs.

Canon tends towards CF cards (they may have a line with SD or even microSD), but the good news is CF's are cheap.

Color reproduction in the consumer line is relatively even, and short of buying some no-name junk, you'll likely be happy.

I just donated a Canon A40 (P&S, 2.2MP) and moved up to a Canon EOS Rebel Xt (DSLR, 8MP). The difference is amazing! Even in full dummy mode (where I spend a lot of time for quick snapshots), it's just super.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
anything from the nikon coolpics or canon elph would be fine. Super small and good images. I'd say go with around 5 megapixels so you can edit and do some croping with

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I was looking for a similar camera (small ultra-compact). Last night I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3, mostly based on price (~$150 at Fry's).

I did some research before the purchase, and is size is important to you, I suggest you take a look at the Casio Exilim line and the Canon Digital Elph. I also like the design of the Samsung NV3.

dodong

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
The only one I can think of, since it is also my favorite, is Fuji FinePix f20. It is very slim, take good pictures especially in locations where lighting is very low, and above all, it is very cheap if you consider the things this camera can do.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I'd say the Canon SD850is fits your needs. It's kinda pricey, but is very small, exceptionally well-built, has a wider angle lens than most, very consistent color/exposure and has very good image quality for a camera that size.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Fuji is OK, but I think they take xD cards. Unfortunately, so do the Olympus cameras. Some are very slim and are probably what you're looking for. Sony takes their Memory Stick, although their cameras (point & shoot) are quite good. :)

That leaves a bunch of Panasonic cameras (a bit too noisy), Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Samsung, and Ricoh (and others, I'm sure). Pentax makes some good cameras, but they're not the thinnest on the market.
Canon's smallest line of Elphs (don't know the model numbers) are very very small, as are the entire SD line (aka: called their "IXUS" line outside of North America).
Nikon is bringing out some very nice point and shoot cameras, but I don't know how good they are. They're not the best camera to use if you want to have manual settings.
Casio cameras are very nice.

Samsung's cameras are thin and probably look the best (their NV line does, at least), but their photo quality isn't as great as the competition.

I can say the same thing about Panasonic, but they have some really nice features like a really wide-angle lens, and the ability to shoot in "widecreen format", or around 16:10)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.