Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Does the Canon Rebel XS or XSi tether with aperture or lightroom. If not out of the box is there a way to enable this support?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
The Canon software will allow tethered shooting (well the software supplied with the 5D does anyway).

Not tried tethered on LR, so can't answer that (im not aware that it does)

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I just heard them talking about this on the TWiP (this week in photography) podcast, and they said that all canon cameras were supported with Aperture 2, but no one actually used it, so they didn't know if all the features were available.

They did recommend the Canon software, as you have much more control over everything.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
aperture can tether right on the spot
to tether with lightroom however, you'll need 3rd party software or the cameras manufacturers software to send the pictures straight to lightroom

however, i hear that canons software is great to use, just tether your camera with that, then import them to aperture or lightroom (whatever one your using)

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
The Canon Digital Photography Pro software that comes with the EOS 450D (XSi) allows tethered shooting and is very good. In some ways, it's more convenient than using the controls on the camera itself!

While I have Aperture 2 I have not tried tethered shooting with that, primarily because DPP is so good but also because I had read (perhaps from a mistaken source) that Aperture 2 did not support the EOS 450D in tethered mode. Might give it a go when I next get a chance to see if it works.

chrisburke

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
new to posting here.. didnt actually realize there was a photography section on mac rumors... i can offer advice here though... with lightroom, it doesnt directly allow it, but you can do it... i use nikon, so I cant directly tell you what to do.. however, I do believe that canon has software for tethering as well... what I do.. is i run my nikon camera control pro (which is the tethering application that allows me to shoot pics directly to my computer... i just run it in the background, cause I actually use the camera to edit settings and such... in the forground though, I run Lightroom 2.. in LR2 ther is a "auto import" feature... (find it under file) it automatically scans whatever file you pick, and whenever there are new photos in that file, they are automatically imported to LR.. so I set up LR to automatically import from whatever file my nikon camera control automatically downloads to.. it takes about 2 seconds for the photo to appear in LR, but it works great.

hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.