Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
Can't even figure out what the difference is between the 7 plus and the Xs Max cameras - when you compare specs on apple.com they've got the same resolution cameras, the only physical difference seems to be optical stabilization on the telephoto lens. Smart HDR sounds like a software improvement made possible by the updated chips and the depth of field adjustment is already available in free photography apps (I've been doing that for nearly a year already with my 7 plus).

I'm really struggling to find a reason to spend $1,249 to upgrade to a Xs Max 256gb from my 7 Plus 256gb since I just did the battery replacement last month, my phone is physically in perfect shape and it does everything I want. I used to update every form factor change but these seem so minor and $1,000+ for an extra inch of screen seems crazy even for me, a massive tech enthusist.

Back when phones were $800, you got a carrier subsidy of $200 and would sell or trade in your old phone for like $300 it was a no brainer to update when the actual cost of an upgrade was a few hundred dollars but now I can get about $300-$400 for my 7 plus, there is no subsidy and the phones are $1,200+ so the actual upgrade cost went from about $300 to around $1,000.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This really makes my girlfriend happy because she was tired of having to buy the Plus models in order to get the better camera.

Reactions: Ntombi

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Can't even figure out what the difference is between the 7 plus and the Xs Max cameras - when you compare specs on apple.com they've got the same resolution cameras, the only physical difference seems to be optical stabilization on the telephoto lens. Smart HDR sounds like a software improvement made possible by the updated chips and the depth of field adjustment is already available in free photography apps (I've been doing that for nearly a year already with my 7 plus).

I'm really struggling to find a reason to spend $1,249 to upgrade to a Xs Max 256gb from my 7 Plus 256gb since I just did the battery replacement last month, my phone is physically in perfect shape and it does everything I want. I used to update every form factor change but these seem so minor and $1,000+ for an extra inch of screen seems crazy even for me, a massive tech enthusist.

Back when phones were $800, you got a carrier subsidy of $200 and would sell or trade in your old phone for like $300 it was a no brainer to update when the actual cost of an upgrade was a few hundred dollars but now I can get about $300-$400 for my 7 plus, there is no subsidy and the phones are $1,200+ so the actual upgrade cost went from about $300 to around $1,000.

So don't upgrade?

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I'm really glad they matched the Xs camera with the Max. The camera is now one of my main criterias when buying a phone as well as 'small' form factor.

AppleFan910

Suspended
Jul 19, 2018
Boston

I have a 7+ 128 gb. I went for it and did the upgrade program through Apple. So xs max for me 256 gb.
Hoping the camera is better than my 7 Plus. Mom will get my 7 Plus to replace her SE which the rear camera quit working, and her measly 16 gb. Storage

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

Just get a 256gb iPhone X for $600-700 on Craigslist.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008

Xs Max has a new sensor apparently for better low light photography. The lenses are different (faster aperture I think) than the 7 Plus

bOFFE1968

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
«...But the XS's dual cameras have 1.4µm pixels instead of the 1.22µm of the iPhone X, meaning larger pixels and therefore technically the ability to take in more light. This should help with low-light photography, but we will have to see in our full review»

«The new iPhone XS and XS Max also offer a Smart HDR system, which the iPhone X doesn't have. This betters the previous HDR system thanks to more power, meaning it can give you better HDR photos in any conditions.»

«With the iPhone XS, Apple is upgrading its camera system. It still has a dual 12-megapixel sensor with f/1.8 aperture on the main wide-angle sensor and f/2.4 on the telephoto, but the sensors are completely new and there’s a new ISP inside the A12 Bionic. There’s also a faster 7-megapixel selfie camera on the front.

The biggest upgrades are in the software, though. There’s Smart HDR which improves highlight details and shadows and the power of the A12 Bionic chip improves post-processing. You can also finally alter the depth of the field effect after you’ve taken the photo.

Video on both phones can be captured at 4K, however the iPhone XS adds in stereo-sound recording.»

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

i personally don't think anything i am about to say is a reason alone to upgrade but just so you know...

- the 8 plus had an enhanced sensor on both the wide angle and telephoto lens vs. the 7 plus that allowed for better low light performance and enhanced dynamic range.
- the X added optical stabilization to the telephoto lens and also allowed for portrait mode from the front facing camera using the FaceID system for depth mapping.
- the XS added a 30% larger sensor to the wide angle lens to again further increase low light performance and dynamic range yet again.
- the XS neural engine builds upon what the 8/X neural engine was doing to enhance portrait mode, HDR mode and more with new features like Smart HDR and post shot control of f-stop blur in portrait mode.

so I'd argue there have been three whole generations of updates to the camera system vs. your 7 plus.

maybe combine that with the MUCH larger screen which you say is "minor" but is actually 16% larger and OLED vs. your LED, much higher PPI, and the advantages of the FaceID system etc. and the upgrade might be worth it?

Reactions: Supermallet

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
To each their own. To my eyes, the camera is a significant improvement over the 8 Plus camera, which in and of itself was a bit improved over the 7 Plus camera. The smart HDR adds a whole other layer to what the camera can do. But for many people it won’t justify the cost of these devices, and that’s understandable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.