Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjonquil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi, i'm sorta of writing this in a rush so sorry in advance for bad spelling/grammar.

So heres the deal , silly me with this new rebel xti camera didn't understand how it appeared in Mac, through Iphoto. So i thought it wasn't reading so i FORMATTED my camera , losing all my files. So i panicked and downloaded the card rescuer program, BUT my problem is i can't seem to get my camera to appear anywhere else but Iphoto . Card Rescuer also ask for drive types , like Logical and Physical i have no idea what any of that means. Please don't tell me this is a futile attempt!

Any Help would be SO greatly appreciated!!!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you put the card into a card reader, rather than connect the camera, it'll show up as a mounted drive.

itsjonquil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I've heard of that , so the card reader lets the files appear somewhere other than iphoto? I will most certainly look into that .

Now, do you know of a way i could retrieve my lost files ? Or will the card reader solve this problem also?

Thank you so much for your reply , it means alot .

itsjonquil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
i don't mean to be a pest . But is there anyone out there who can tell me how to retrieve my lost files? It would really help .

Thanks .

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you haven't used the card, you may be able to retrieve any files on it. No one can guarantee it. If you use a card reader, it will still likely open iPhoto, but you'll also see the card mounted in Finder.

itsjonquil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Ok . So when you say using it you mean having in your camera, right?

Because thats what i've been doing. I haven't taken it out or anything, but i did restore my camera and then all my files on my CF card were lost . I then hooked it up to the computer and my camera appeared in Iphoto , but it said there were no photos to import. I don't know if thats the death sentence or what...

So , i guess you could say i'm just a little confused as to what i should do at this point... any clarification on the next step would be cool.

Thanks for help : )

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Ok . So when you say using it you mean having in your camera, right?

No, what I mean is removing the card and putting it into a separate card reader. When I connect my Canon camera (an older one with only USB1.1), it opens iPhoto, but the card doesn't get mounted as a viewable volume. If I instead attach a USB card reader (like this), it still opens iPhoto, but it also mounts as a drive that I can navigate into.

If the files are recoverable, you should be able to get to them when mounted this way.

itsjonquil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Oh ok . Thank you very much for clarifying this . I'm sorry i'm not to savvy with all this , i hope i wasn't too fustrating.

I am most definitely going to try and get one of those card readers (thanks for the link!) , and certainly hope that the files are recoverable.

A part of me doesn't think they will be though . They seemed totally gone and when i check the memory card again it said like 64.0 Kb used when it used to say 1.6 , but there is only one way to know for sure!

Thanks so much!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.