Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waffles123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Hey, I have a Nikon D40, and I've just realized something that isn't very good. When I take a picture indoors, (35mm f/1.8), the camera display shows a very good picture. However, when I upload to iPhoto, the same picture is much darker and has a warmer white balance so I have to severely edit it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Shoot in RAW to easier balance the white and the exposure afterwards.

Also calibrate your screen via System Preferences > Displays > Color.

You might also be able to lower the brightness on the camera's screen and even adjust its colour warmth.

Btw, there is an s missing in display in your thread title.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Shoot in RAW to easier balance the white and the exposure afterwards.

Also calibrate your screen via System Preferences > Displays > Color.

You might also be able to lower the brightness on the camera's screen and even adjust its colour warmth.

Btw, there is an s missing in display in your thread title.

lower the brightness and use the histogram to judge exposure

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I never ever judge how an image is going to look by just the LCD. The histogram is a much more precise, and also the LCD on the camera is going to display the colours differently than what a calibrated (or non calibrated for that matter) screen/LCD will...

Also shooting RAW, as someone stated, will afford a lot of leeway in recovering highlights and such, but it IS NOT a crutch, so to speak.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
As far as I know the only two cameras, where you can fine-tune the screen to provide a neutral color appearance, are Pentax K-7 and Pentax K-X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.