Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkricepudding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I was recently offered a Nikon d50 from an old school chum of my mothers, for a discounted price (and he also offered to throw in two lenses) while this was a great deal, I had another offer of just the Nikon d50 body for a significantly cheaper price.

Since I already had a 35-80mm lens from our old Nikon f50 I was hesitant to spend the extra cash...

Therefore here's my question, can I use the old film lens on the new digital camera? And if so, what are the side effects?

Thanks!
Leslie G.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Yes all the Nikon DSLRs are F-mount, so any F-mount lens will work on them.

As the D50 has an internal focusing motor, your 35-80mm lens will also autofocus. The lower end Nikon DSLRs (D5000 and below) do not have the internal focus motor and will only autofocus with newer AF-S lenses.

Side effects? None, other than due to the 1.5x crop factor of the DSLR, the 35-80mm lens will act like a 50-120mm lens. This might make it a little long for it to be a general lens usage but nothing to say it won't work.

Ruahrc

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
I use two Pre-Ai (converted) lenses that date back to the 70s on my D3. The only limitation is that if the digital camera does not have an aperture sensing ring then it will not pick up aperture information on manual focus lenses. Don't mount pre-Ai lenses without converting (just requires a bit of attention with a metal file) as it risks damaging digital bodies

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I use two Pre-Ai (converted) lenses that date back to the 70s on my D3. The only limitation is that if the digital camera does not have an aperture sensing ring then it will not pick up aperture information on manual focus lenses. Don't mount pre-Ai lenses without converting (just requires a bit of attention with a metal file) as it risks damaging digital bodies

What is it that you need to do? I'm pretty sure I did this already, though no problems so far.

I've got a super old fully manual 35 mm f/2.8. I mounted it to my D700. Should I have done something to the lens first?

SLC

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
What is it that you need to do? I'm pretty sure I did this already, though no problems so far.

I've got a super old fully manual 35 mm f/2.8. I mounted it to my D700. Should I have done something to the lens first?

SLC

Non-AI Nikon lenses will damage DSLR bodies, with the exception of bodies without a focus motor in them. Assuming your lens is either AI or AIS, you should be fine. You'll just want to make sure you plug in the metering value in the non-cpu menu.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
It will 'work' but I don't know what the point would be. The modern 18-55 zoom is better quality and covers a more usable range. Using that lens from the f50 would be a waste of time and money and adversely affect the quality of your pictures.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Non-AI Nikon lenses will damage DSLR bodies, with the exception of bodies without a focus motor in them. Assuming your lens is either AI or AIS, you should be fine. You'll just want to make sure you plug in the metering value in the non-cpu menu.

What damage do they cause?

I am totally unaware of this. I ask because my 24-70 sometimes finds a way to loosen itself from the mount, requiring me to twist it back in to locking position.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.